Bidding - Friday - Maintenance / Does maintenance PREVENT bidding

Noted a few mentions on boards re 'I won't list fridays due to maintenance'.

How badly does maintenance interfere with bidding ? Are bidders able to bid at the last moment or are bidders likely to find they can't place their bids at the last moment due to 'difficulties' with bid being sent/accepted ???

If people  have SNIPER bids in place do they also have problems being accepted or do they get blocked during maintenance ??

Does anyone know, or has anyone had experiences where they felt their item had experienced good bids up to say friday, then it just died by staying at the last bid placed on say thursday ??

Message 1 of 14
Latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Yes it can and does impact on a buyer's ability to bid, indeed it can render the items invisible for a short time. It doesn't matter if it is a snipe program or manual bid it may very well not go through and often items end with only earlier bids counting and then you get buyers emailing you asking why they didn't win as they had sniped much higher than the end price.

Most of us learn very quickly not to have things ending on Fridays.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 2 of 14
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

I can answer as a buyer....Quite often on a Friday afternoon most of my Watched Items list will go missing...or my Items Won list.....or any other list you care to mention.

If you cannot see the items you cannot bid on them or pay for them.

I can also find that even if the item is visible I cannot place a bid at all, or if I can the site is running so slowly that it can take several minutes to actually bid and confirm....which is useless if I want to snipe.

Message 3 of 14
Latest reply

Thanks lyndal & PJ, I will heed your insights ...

It seems a bit unfair on the sellers & buyers, has ebay ever posted a NOTICE or Announcement regarding this technichal issue ?

Message 4 of 14
Latest reply

They usually announce when maintenance is going to take place, it is invariably on a Friday, it impacts us so adversely because they are doing it in the early hours of the morning in the US so as to disrupt as few members as possible, unfortunately that means anywhere with a few hours time difference is going to suffer.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 5 of 14
Latest reply

Is this still the case nowadays?

Thanks.

Message 6 of 14
Latest reply

No idea, I don't do auctions. Or drag up 8 year old threads.

Message 7 of 14
Latest reply

@banna1124 wrote:

Is this still the case nowadays?

Thanks.

Yes.

Message 8 of 14
Latest reply

@suitcase_of_memories wrote:

Noted a few mentions on boards re 'I won't list fridays due to maintenance'.

How badly does maintenance interfere with bidding ? Are bidders able to bid at the last moment or are bidders likely to find they can't place their bids at the last moment due to 'difficulties' with bid being sent/accepted ???

If people  have SNIPER bids in place do they also have problems being accepted or do they get blocked during maintenance ??

Does anyone know, or has anyone had experiences where they felt their item had experienced good bids up to say friday, then it just died by staying at the last bid placed on say thursday ??

Anything can happen on a Friday. Weird things happen, listings go missing, yes bid and payment glitches. Last week I had a few auctions ending on Friday and actually now that I think of it, I started some more today not realising it was Friday, but I put a note at the top of the description warning bidders the auction would be ending on glitchy Friday, just to check their bid had registered.

I didn't get any reports of problems so all good for me last Friday. We'll see what next Friday brings 

Message 9 of 14
Latest reply

8 year old thread dusty....................

just sayin'

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 10 of 14
Latest reply