Bidding with no money

I had an auction finish not long ago and spoke to the winning bidder after the auction to arrange payment & pick up of the item.

The winning bidder did not have the money to pay for the item for several weeks and did not mention beforehand.  I need the money now, not in three weeks.

I have relisted the item but don't know what to do with the auction that had just finished.  

This has happened to me before, but that time the winning bidder took ten days to contact me and gave me negative feedback when the item was sold to someone else.

Thank you   Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 31
Latest reply
30 REPLIES 30

Bidding with no money

You did two things wrong

1. After four days you should have opened a NPB dispute.

2. You relisted item before dispute was finalised, technically you sold someone elses item.

Message 2 of 31
Latest reply

Bidding with no money

Mellie, what are you going to do in 3 weeks time when the original buyer comes to you wanting their item?

Until that contract is cancelled, you still do legally have to honour the contract.

As Basil said, you really need to open up an UID on day 4, then hope like crazy that they don't pay in the following 4 days so that you can close the dispute which cancels the contract and leaves you free to list again.

Some people can go their whole lives and never really live for a single minute.
Message 3 of 31
Latest reply

Bidding with no money

"You did two things wrong"

Yes and the buyer also did the wrong thing.  The eBay user agreement requires "While using the eBay services, you will not: fail to deliver payment for items purchased by you"

The way to handle non payers is:

If you don't receive payment after 4 days open a non paying bidder case in the Resolution center. Then if the buyer doesn't pay within a further 4 days, you can close the case and an unpaid item may be recorded on the buyer's account (you get back your FVF but not your listing fee). Then you may safely relist.  If the buyer has contacted you and you've agreed to extend the payment deadline, you have to wait up to 36 days after the listing ended to close the case.  Don't forget to close the case before 36 days or eBay automatically closes it and you don't receive a final value fee credit.   If the bidder doesn't pay and you close the case they will not be able to leave feedback.  Unfortunately sellers can only leave positive FB, so please don't be tempted to leave a negative comment on a positive FB it is against eBay policy.

---------------------------------------------------
Profanity is no substitute for wit.
Message 4 of 31
Latest reply

Bidding with no money

"I have relisted the item but don't know what to do with the auction that had just finished."

The best action may be to cancel the new auction, even if there are bids on it you can still  cancel it if less than 12 hours to the end.  Open a NPB case against first bidder ASAP (ie 4 days after it closed), then in 4 days close the case and relist.  Opening the case may even prompt the orginal bidder to pay.

Message 5 of 31
Latest reply

Bidding with no money

@gec2002 wrote:

"You did two things wrong"

Yes and the buyer also did the wrong thing.  The eBay user agreement requires "While using the eBay services, you will not: fail to deliver payment for items purchased by you"

The way to handle non payers is:

If you don't receive payment after 4 days open a non paying bidder case in the Resolution center. Then if the buyer doesn't pay within a further 4 days, you can close the case and an unpaid item may be recorded on the buyer's account (you get back your FVF but not your listing fee). Then you may safely relist.  If the buyer has contacted you and you've agreed to extend the payment deadline, you have to wait up to 36 days after the listing ended to close the case.  Don't forget to close the case before 36 days or eBay automatically closes it and you don't receive a final value fee credit.   If the bidder doesn't pay and you close the case they will not be able to leave feedback.  Unfortunately sellers can only leave positive FB, so please don't be tempted to leave a negative comment on a positive FB it is against eBay policy.

just out of interest geck - could you show me where eBay (or even the law) specifies how long a buyer has to pay for an item they commit to purchase?

Believe it or not, the buyer has done nothing wrong. OK, they are inconsiderate and a few other words i best not write, but so far, they have not said that they won't be paying, they have said they will pay in three weeks.

So please gec, leaving out the unspoken expectation, exactly what has this buyer done wrong?

No, I'm not on their side, I think what they have done is mean and unthoughful, but so far (unless in breach of terms and conditions in the listing) the buyer has done nothing wrong.

Some people can go their whole lives and never really live for a single minute.
Message 6 of 31
Latest reply

Bidding with no money

If timely prompt payment is important to you as a seller, then it is wise to put clear payment terms in your description.

The OP has not indicated if they had payment terms in their listing. 

Message 7 of 31
Latest reply

Bidding with no money

Ok.  Thank you.  I have cancelled the relist.  

My partner told the guy where to go unpolitely when told that he wanted to pay in three weeks.  We need the money now and was counting on the payment & the item going over the weekend.  

Nevermind.  Will wait & then see what happens.

Message 8 of 31
Latest reply

Bidding with no money

All my listings have (by default i think) as part of the conditions of sale:

Seller's payment instructions
please use the checkout, payment due within 7 days of end of auction

Funny though because I do not have auctions.

Message 9 of 31
Latest reply

Bidding with no money

"could you show me where eBay (or even the law) specifies how long a buyer has to pay for an item they commit to purchase?"

Unpaid item policy
"When a buyer wins an item or uses Buy It Now to purchase an item, they’re obligated to complete the purchase by sending full payment to the seller.

If a buyer doesn’t pay for an item within 4 days, sellers can open an unpaid item case in the . If the buyer still doesn't pay or reach some other agreement with the seller, eBay may record the unpaid item on the buyer's account." and the seller no longer need provide the item and can relist.

If it was an open ended sale then surely eBay could not terminate the sellers obligation to provide the item to the buyer.  Or are you suggesting that if the buyer has no TAC I can just email after a purchase and say I will pay you in 5 years time.  Doesn't there have to be intent to buy for the contract to valid.  At what point does that end - I really truly intend to pay for it in 5 years time - so stiff wait 5 years for your money?  If that's the case I guess I will take my bat and ball and go home.

PS Since we are being pedantic I never said the buyer did anything illegal I said what they did was wrong not necessarily unlawful, sorry I meant Mean and unthoughtful.

Message 10 of 31
Latest reply