Breakages during post- who is responsible

I've recently come across some nasty buyers when it comes to breakages. I pack items very well, I always have a fragile sticker on packages etc. it seems like a buyer can lie and say something isn't as described, that it wasn't packed properly...file a claim and get their money back! Extremely frustrating that because out of fear of negative feedback we sellers have to give in and lose money in the process. Even after offering the buyer the option of insurance and clearly stating I'm not responsible for breakages in the post....I'm still on the losing end
Any advice from sellers please in best way to protect myself from bully buyers?
Message 1 of 30
Latest reply
29 REPLIES 29

You could probably change your attitude out the gate. Calling your customers names, eg. Bully buyers, simply becuase they bought an item off you that arrived damaged is going nowhere.

Message 2 of 30
Latest reply

It is up to the seller to ensure that breakable items are packed well enough not to get broken so the answer is

The seller is responsible.

Aust Post DO NOT offer a fragile service and no amount of stickers will make handling any different.

Even with insurance all AP has to say is the item was not packed sufficiently and no claim could be made anyway.

Ask for photos of the damage and if they supply them then refund.

Message 3 of 30
Latest reply

Firstly stop putting fragile stickers on your packages. It is like waving a red flag to a bull. Some PO workers will play football with those items.
Message 4 of 30
Latest reply

For a start, stop putting 'fragile' on your parcels. It's an invitation for them to be used as a football..........and don't believe it doesn't happen.

I have posted quite a few breakables in the past (glass) and never had a breakage. One thing I learned from speaking to others that post breakables, it shouldn't be able to move in the box. Pack it in, hold the top closed and shake it. If there is even the tiniest bit of movement, stuff some more packaging in. 

I have received broken breakables before. One seller, I don't know what she was thinking. Wrapped each plate in a single sheet of newspaper and put them in a satchel bag. Another seller did use good packaging, but not in the right way. They wrapped the item in a small amount of bubble wrap, placed it in the box, then filled it tight with packing material. Problem was, the item was sitting on the bottom of the box. All the packaging was on the sides and the top. I will put a layer in the bottom, place the item in a box large enough to fit material around the sides and then stuff it tight. So the item is basically in the middle of the box, completely surrounded by packing material.

In the case of your pineapple cannisters, I would pack them into individual boxes and then put them in a large box so there is no chance of them bashing together. I would also stuff the insides of them. Same with your Italian vase. They do ship much better if the inside is stuffed solid too. Buyers would much rather have a packaging mountain on the table than broken bits of whatever they bought.

As already mentioned, ask for a photo and if it is broken, refund. Is that the buyer who left you the last negative? If so, and they refuse to send a photo, tell them where to go. 

Message 5 of 30
Latest reply

I have heard this from people who have worked as couriers, however the reason I started using the fragile stickers was I was accused by a buyer of not doing enough...ie- I lost my case as I didn't make it known it was fragile. Damned if you do and damned if you dont
Message 6 of 30
Latest reply

Telling them where to go us not an option when you're trying to save your feedback.
Thanks for the tips around packing....the other issue is that buyers want top packing materials but gawk at the price of postage charged as if your trying to make extra money.

Do you people find auspost cheapest and best way to go or should I be making a deal with a courier for all parcels sent?
Message 7 of 30
Latest reply

Overall most of my buyers have been descent and lovely....my comment stems from 2 buyers who were really nasty no matter what I tried to resolve the situation...... It's not attitude...it's fact! There are buyers who know how to scam the eBay and PayPal systems...pure and simple!
Message 8 of 30
Latest reply

Australia post don't have a fragile service so it means nothing to them. I double box my glassware and never had a problem. Wrap items with bubble wrap, box. then place in a bigger box then stuff foam peanuts in the gaps between the 2 boxes.

Message 9 of 30
Latest reply

I used to sell a lot of glassware on eBay both within Australia and overseas and never had anything arrive broken. I used to buy foam 'peanuts' that's usually what they call them in the packing material trade. They are great and with some paper wads to steady the item plus some bubble wrap provide a much lighter means of secure packing and postage costs are kept at a reasonable level. As it has already been said it is essential to keep the item from moving around in the box and to put packing above and below the item. Unfortunately AP does like playing football with our parcels ๐Ÿ˜ž

Message 10 of 30
Latest reply