Broken by Australia Post question.

Hi, I always pack my items most carefully and securely and have never had anyone complain about a breakage.

Today I received a complaint and photo brom a buyer of an item received broken obviously by Australia Post rough handling.

Whats the next step I should take, should I just reimburse the item amount even if it's Australia Post fault, and also am I also supposed to reimburse for the postage amount also?

Thanks .

Message 1 of 9
Latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

My understanding is (and someone will correct me if I'm wrong), if it's posted in an Aust Post box, then they should cover it. If it's posted in your own packaging, I'm not sure. There are (green) forms you can get from the PO that you full out for items damaged in the post. I did a few a few years back and they reimbursed me, even though they weren't in AP boxes (only 1 was).

Message 2 of 9
Latest reply

you need to tell the buyer to take the item and all the packaging to the PO and show them what has happened. The PO will no doubt tell them it was insufficient packaging and will refuse any claim for damage. Insist for compensation and lodge the form
Message 3 of 9
Latest reply

Thanks, I wasn't going to ask the seller to send back the item as the photo shows it is irrepairable (smashed glass vase).

So do I get her to go to the post office with the item and fill in the form now? Or does she need to send it back to me then I will do the form?

Not sure how this green form works, does she fill in her details and get refunded or do I fill in the form and reinstate her?

Thanks again.

Message 4 of 9
Latest reply

It is up to the buyer to claim unless they return the item and packaging to you with the green claim form filled in to assign the right to lodge it to you. I can't imagine why you would want to waste time and money getting a broken item returned if you are satisfied the item cannot be repaired and resold.

I believe the new ebay process does not cover damage in the post but Paypal certainly still do so.

If your buyer will go to to the PO and put in a claim then you are out of the woods unless they are very dishonest, if AP refuse the claim then by inference your packaging was not up to standard and whatever ebay says I would refund the buyer in full.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 5 of 9
Latest reply

@i-love-my-sheep wrote:

My understanding is (and someone will correct me if I'm wrong), if it's posted in an Aust Post box, then they should cover it. If it's posted in your own packaging, I'm not sure. There are (green) forms you can get from the PO that you full out for items damaged in the post. I did a few a few years back and they reimbursed me, even though they weren't in AP boxes (only 1 was).

I've had a couple of items posted from Asia, whicgh were damaged by Aus Post. I submitted claims and was reimbursed for the package amount. Not anything expensive however. Still worth doing - as all damage reports get fed further up the chain.

Message 6 of 9
Latest reply

Hi

I just received a package from the US that was busted by the time it arrived here in Sydney.  Inside were supposed to be 6 pens but because the cardboard packaging had been torn, there were three pens missing.

With your damaged parcels from Asia, did you just send the claim to Aust Post? See what I can't fathom is 

who would take responsibility.  With the parcel I received, it was sent by USPS and delivered by AustPost.  

So I was thinking that if I sent it through Aust Post, they would just say they couldn't prove it was them and that the damage could have occured whilst still with USPS and vice-versa.  Could you explain how it works for me as the three pens lost were about $10 each and while I don't want to neg f/b or request refund from the seller  for postage manhandling, I don't want to be out $30 either.  Any advice would help.  Cheers

Message 7 of 9
Latest reply

did you not notice the damage when either you picked up the package or when it was delivered? you should have made an aproach to 1) your postman or 2) you local post office before you opened the package. that way theres no arguing you did the damage yourself. i have never had a damaged item delivered but if i did notice a hole big enough for the sent items to fall out i'd be straight to my local post office like greased lightning.

Message 8 of 9
Latest reply

Hi David.  I only received the parcel today and it was left in my letterbox.  As I didn't get home until after the post office was closed, I haven't had a chance to approach them yet.  So unfortunately for me, there was no postman and no post office to discuss this with.  I will take it up tomorrow to show them but I was firstly wondering if Australia Post were the right people to go to as I also haven't had this happen before.  Thanks for replying anyway. Smiley Very Happy

Message 9 of 9
Latest reply