Buyer Dispute: Requesting Refund (do they have a case?)

I sold an old Apple laptop,  the buyer is saying the laptop "makes a noise" and that it was not in the description.  I dispute this, as the laptop was in top condition.  He requests a refund with me paying all shipment costs.  I also had no refunds, but he claims the "noise" is faulty.

I had a bad feeling about this buyer as he also witheld payment after purchase and had miniscule questions.

Should I just have him open a refund/dispute and go through ebay?   I have a 100% positive rating and this is the first issue I've ever had.

Message 1 of 20
Latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

If he is claiming it's faulty due to the house then eBay are most likely to back him on this. Doesn't matter what your listing said about returns or refunds.
If you want it back you will have to pay the return shipping. I would get him to open a return request. Doing this puts it formally on his buying account record.
Then once you receive it back in original condition only then issue the refund.
I would be cautious and have a credible witness with you when you open the package just in case they send back a brick. The witness would need to sign a stat dec if this happened.
Message 2 of 20
Latest reply

Oops..
That should read due to the noise.
Message 3 of 20
Latest reply

Could it be that the noise is from the hard-drive?  You'd have to hope he hasn't got one of the laptops already and swapped your 12 month old HD into his and put his old one into yours.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 4 of 20
Latest reply

this is what i am worried about. The computer works well and i never thought it made a "noise".  It's a solid state hard drive so it's quiet.

Message 5 of 20
Latest reply

i rekon used computers like phones should only be sold on a pick-up only sale so you get to demonstrate its working and get paid cash.

unless your selling it as 'for parts only'

too many shonks out there in ebay buyer land.

Message 6 of 20
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

Don't involve ebay.....you are likely to lose the money and the laptop.

Obviously he cannot send a photo of the "noise" to prove the laptop is defective.

I would just offer a full refund including the initial postage when he returns the laptop.  That way you will at least have the latptop to resell.

Message 7 of 20
Latest reply

The only possible source of noise from a laptop fitted with a SSD (Solid State Drive) is from the internal cooling fan. They can make a barely audible noise if running in a hot environment when the fan is running at full speed. This is completely normal tho.
Message 8 of 20
Latest reply

I am half wondering if the supposed 'noise' is not him using youtube

Message 9 of 20
Latest reply

i agree, but i dont think i will win.  He was quite odd to begin with, so I think im going to get scammed...with over $500 down the drain.  I'm pretty peeved, I think i;ll get a case opened and see what happend.

Message 10 of 20
Latest reply