Buyer asking for iphone pin?

alchemiry
Community Member
Hi all,

I just sold an old non-working iPhone. I have erased it and unlocked it via the iCloud.com site but now the buyer is asking for my 4-digit pin for the handset. I'm not sure why he'd need that though and I'm reluctant to give it to him as its the same pin as I use for other things. Is this normal?

Surely if the phone is erased and unlocked he shouldn't need the pin?

Any quick advice much appreciated.
Message 1 of 9
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Not very sensible to use the same PIN for more than one device, If the buyer does need it to fix the phone then it would be just plain wrong not to give it to them, I would send it after first changing the PIN on your other items, it is a good idea to do that periodically anyway,

See what a trendsetter I am?

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 9
Latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Did you restore the phone to factory settings?

Sounds like the buyer can't access the phone until they put in the 4 digit code (access code for lock screen).

I don't think the buyer wants the code for any suspicious reasons, they just want to be able to use the phone.

Message 2 of 9
Latest reply

Not very sensible to use the same PIN for more than one device, If the buyer does need it to fix the phone then it would be just plain wrong not to give it to them, I would send it after first changing the PIN on your other items, it is a good idea to do that periodically anyway,

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 3 of 9
Latest reply

wow for a phone that does not work and has a crack on the screen ,and got $171 for it. you have put up some magnificent item description , even a 9 minute video. give him the pin and anything else he wants

Message 4 of 9
Latest reply

change your other pins first if you are worried then give the buyer the pin for it.
Message 5 of 9
Latest reply

alchemiry
Community Member
Thanks guys, I thought as much.
Message 6 of 9
Latest reply

alchemiry
Community Member
Joethenuts: eBay automatically posts all that info, including the video when you list an iPhone. My description was rather simple and I stated it was sold as is. Not my fault it sold for the price it did and tbh I was very surprised it did (we since negotiated a much lower price than that). Anyway, thanks for the advice
Message 7 of 9
Latest reply

well its good to see ebay doing that bit extra , but a bit too much for a broken phone that does not work from ebay, can i ask you alchemiry, why was there negotiation after the auction. have a  nice day

Message 8 of 9
Latest reply

Buyer will need that pin to downloand software updates etc too.

Message 9 of 9
Latest reply