Buyer can't pay because he has moved over seas and my listing is post to Australia only

21simba
Community Member

Hi

My buyer has tried to pay after I accepted an offer. However he has just moved to New Zealand and wants it sent there. I have the listing as post to Australia only. I'm happy to post to New Zealand but he can't pay as the listing says post to Australia only. How can I fix this so he can pay? I can't seem to be able to contact anyone at Ebay even though they say agents are available at this time. Thanks advance for any help.

Cheers

Message 1 of 10
Latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Buyer can't pay because he has moved over seas and my listing is post to Australia only

Dont know if it will,  but logically it should.

Cancel the sale,  relist it with posts to NZ as an option for that buyer.  You will have to use the right reason so you get your fees refunded for the initial sale.

Message 2 of 10
Latest reply

Be aware that postage to NZ is significantly more than postage within Australia, the postage options are more limited, and you will be paying fees on an International, rather than domestic, transaction.

Message 3 of 10
Latest reply

Cancel original sale as explained. What I would do is change the title of the listing to Special Listing for XXX (eBay ID). Change BIN to the correct offer amount. Work out postage to NZ for AP Standard International. Add a couple of $$ to cover the extra eBay fees (you are doing him a favour). Put that total in International Post allowed - fixed amount. Send him the title of the new listing, the eBay Item  number, and a link to the new listing, explaining what you have done and why. Then if they're like the buyers I take trouble for, you'll never hear from them again (which is why I would  tell them I will cancel it after 2 days.) Good luck.

Message 4 of 10
Latest reply

I loved your answer, especially the last part.

Simba, you have a buyer who bought from a listing that said Australia only, then 'tried to pay' when he clearly knew he was in NZ. In what universe did he imagine that the postage amount would be the same? And is he going to be happy when he finds out just how much extra there is to pay for postage?

I recall once as a seller being in exactly the spot you are now, and we too were prepared to do a once off and post to NZ. Well, that buyer paid the new price but then complained bitterly about the postage cost. Said she had had things posted to NZ before at half the price (we would only send it with tracking).

Then when it arrived, she faked some problem and asked for a hefty discount (which amounted to about half the postage cost, surprise, surprise). I think maybe she had paid as she didn't want an unpaid item strike.

What i would do is work out how much it would cost to post, then ask your buyer if that is acceptable as if it is dearer than he anticipated, you are prepared to just cancel the sale for him as a problem with his address and then there are no problems with ebay.

Message 5 of 10
Latest reply

Hi Community

I’m so sorry for not responding. I’ve only just discovered all your answers. I was so disappointed in the response from ebay itself (nill)! Thank you so much. I did end up cancelling it and relistinh as you suggested and sending the buyer the link and also as mentioned, no response. Oh well. I get so many who make an offer, I accept and then they don’t pay. What gives? But thanks again for all the good responses. Cheers

Message 6 of 10
Latest reply

Options:

1) Cancel the order

2) Have the buyer cover the postage cost by buying another item on your site greater than the value of the postage.  Refund the delta, keep the value of the postage and mark the item as sent.  

If you select option 2, confirm this approach with the customer via ebay message and append a message to the order confirming same.  You'll also need to update inventory of the item you've 'sold' because the quantity will be deducted

Message 7 of 10
Latest reply

@p9games wrote:

Options:

1) Cancel the order

2) Have the buyer cover the postage cost by buying another item on your site greater than the value of the postage.  Refund the delta, keep the value of the postage and mark the item as sent.  

If you select option 2, confirm this approach with the customer via ebay message and append a message to the order confirming same.  You'll also need to update inventory of the item you've 'sold' because the quantity will be deducted.

And besides the system wont let the buyer pay, so how are they going to pay for the second item.

Option 2 leaves you open to a item not received case.   And yes I know you said confirm it in writing,  but the hassle of trying to sort it out via Ebay chat, and customer service scripts,  is not worth it.  Do it properly

Message 8 of 10
Latest reply

At least you've cancelled it, so you get your fees back. Write the buyer off. They were probably going to be a headache anyway. I just hope you cancelled with the problem with buyer's address option.

As for other non payers you mention, I hope you also cancel those transactions using the buyer didn't pay option.

Make sure you block the overseas pest.

Message 9 of 10
Latest reply

@21simba wrote:

Hi Community

I did end up cancelling it and relistinh as you suggested and sending the buyer the link and also as mentioned, no response. Oh well. I get so many who make an offer, I accept and then they don’t pay. What gives? But thanks again for all the good responses. Cheers

Why am I not surprised?

He knew he was in NZ. He knew the postage charge you had in the listing would have applied to Australia. He was hoping you'd just send it on to him, no extra charges.

Was his listed address on ebay even his new one in NZ?

Of course there was no response, he was not prepared to pay extra.

Just block him, but make sure you get your fees back in an ebay claim, from that sale and from any sale where a buyer does not pay.

As for what gives, when people make an offer but don't follow through. I think sometimes it depends on how keen they are.Sometimes I suspect they are only mildly keen and make an offer to see how low they can get it for then they have a cooling off perios & decide they are not that keen after all.

Sometimes if they have to wait to see if an offer is accepted or rejected, they may have moved on and may have bought elsewhere.

Maybe consider having auto accept/reject figures built into your 'make an offer'  ads so they get an instant response.

Message 10 of 10
Latest reply