Buyer claiming they didn't receive their item but they picked it up

I sold an item on the 21st of December, as I didn't realise the item sold (app notifications were working), I didn't respond until the 24th of December apologising, offered a free item as an apology, we arranged pick up the 26th of December. 

They collected the item on the 26th at the time as discussed. I am new to selling on eBay via pick up but the item wasn't suitable for shipping and didn't realise you needed to scan a code on pick up. I asked them to mark the item as received as I couldn't do it on my end without the code. They didn't respond but the item was marked as received.

The item was marked as collected, but on the 4th of January they opened a case to say it wasn't received despite them physically collecting the item. I attempted to contact them with no response.

I am not sure what's happening? 

Message 1 of 10
Latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

You will have some trouble with this. That code to scan is exactly the protection /proof you need to establish to eBay that the item has been picked up.

Try to send the buyer a message that it seems they have mistakenly opened a case for non receipt of item. If you have to get tough, you could tell them that if they don’t close the case, you will be contacting the police. 

Try contacting eBay Live Chat tomorrow… but really this is a mess of largely your own making. I’m sorry you’re in this position. Protect yourself by reading the eBay help pages before you sell anything else on eBay. Ask on these boards for help if you need it after doing that reading.

Message 2 of 10
Latest reply

It’s a long shot, given they haven’t responded previously, but politely ask them via the dispute, to send you the pick up code number given that as arranged the item had been picked up on xx/xx/xx. Failing that, i would respond to the dispute again, advising that you will report this to ACORN, (cyber crime)

Message 3 of 10
Latest reply

How did you make arrangements for collection - emails - messages ??

Message 4 of 10
Latest reply

@designers*n*more wrote:

It’s a long shot, given they haven’t responded previously, but politely ask them via the dispute, to send you the pick up code number given that as arranged the item had been picked up on xx/xx/xx. Failing that, i would respond to the dispute again, advising that you will report this to ACORN, (cyber crime)

Doubt if this will be considered cyber crime, maybe check your definitions.  

Message 5 of 10
Latest reply

All through eBay exclusively, and you can see them messaging when they arrived to collect the item. And then me messaging back that I didn't realise about the code, would they mind marking the item as collected, and hoped they enjoy the item. This is all I have at this point 

Message 6 of 10
Latest reply

Do you mean messages on your phone - as these will possibly not help - had it been through emails through eBay - you'd have something. ??

Message 7 of 10
Latest reply

Sent a message as recommended and they responded. Despite not responding to the previous message. The buyer said they didn't open it and they cannot change anything on their end. In the message, via eBay messaging, they said they have the item and is working correctly.

So, I'll try and contact eBay via live chat to resolve the case.

Message 8 of 10
Latest reply

As they are saying they didnt open a case,  are you sure it was a case and not just an Ebay reminder,  as it was originally listed as postage the Bot may have being waiting for you to add a tracking number..

Just a thought

Message 9 of 10
Latest reply

Normally, buyer marks as 'paid'....seller marks as 'sent'.....end of transaction.

Message 10 of 10
Latest reply