Buyer doesn't know how to use item. Initiated a refund.

I sold a Sony Nex F3 camera. Today buyer initiated a refund. Saying LCD screen has "yellow flickr" and attached a photo.

Obvisouly buyer doesn't know what focus peaking indicators are. In the camera you can have the focus peaking indicators in 3 colours, red / yellow / white. So the camera has the yellow one active.

I replied with 3 messages, suggesting buyer to reset the camera to default, watch some youtube videos (I supplied the URLs) and learn what focus peaking indicators are, or disable them.

However I don't think this gentleman will ever get it. Of course if he will, then he will close the return then I won't have any problems.

If this gentleman ignores all my messages and ask eBay to "step in" at a later stage. Do I have a chance? I have supplied all information I can find and if buyer just ignore them all, will eBay still side with him?

Thank you.

Message 1 of 11
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

You won't win this, so the best thing you can do is accept the return and refund when it's returned. You will be out the cost of the postage both ways, but better than being out the cost of the camera and the buyer gets to keep it.

Some buyers refuse to accept advice on how things work. If they ask eBay to step in and help, you're toast. Accept the return.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 11
Latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Yes eBay will side with the buyer as eBay are not experts in the way all things work.

It's one word against another.

But make sure you get the buyer to return the item before refunding.

image host
Message 2 of 11
Latest reply

You won't win this, so the best thing you can do is accept the return and refund when it's returned. You will be out the cost of the postage both ways, but better than being out the cost of the camera and the buyer gets to keep it.

Some buyers refuse to accept advice on how things work. If they ask eBay to step in and help, you're toast. Accept the return.

Message 3 of 11
Latest reply

Thanks for the replies.

I had 2 return cases last year:

1: Buyer didn't know how to use "return label" and paid return postage out of his own pocket (and didn't ask me for postage money).

2: Buyer didn't know how to proceed after filing a return. After I accapeting the return he completely disappeared, eBay cancelled the case a few weeks alter.

This time. Buyer hase not responded. I have a few days of time, if I accept the return 2 days later and if the buyer does not take any actions, I hope ebay's system will cancel the case again, like how it did last time.

Message 4 of 11
Latest reply

Hopefully that will be the case this time too. Please come back and let us know how this pans out.

Message 5 of 11
Latest reply

No replies from buyer, I accepted the return (can't wait any longer).

Buyer has until the 6th of June to return it.

Message 6 of 11
Latest reply

Save all the grief, and accept the return, then relist the item. Far less hassle...

I had a buyer a fortnight back buy a set of ignition leads. A week later, I get a 'phone call - the leads won't fit on his engine's distributor cap. 

As soon as he's said that, I already know what the problem is - there are two types of distributor cap: "standard" (used on older cars before Electronic ignition systems came in), and HEI (a special type of cap used from the 1980s on, for cars with Electronic ignition). The caps can also usually be picked by their colour - "Standard" are orange or brown, HEI are black.

He's bought a set of HEI leads, and is trying to fit them to a Standard distributor cap.

I ask for photos, and sure enough - he has a Standard distributor cap. The title of my listing states that the leads are HEI, and the body text contains this: "The distributor ends are for an electronic / HEI distributor cap and coil - they won't suit vehicles with standard ignition systems".

Naturally, he's just gone ahead and bought them anyway. Then rung to tell me we've given him the wrong leads. And initiated a refund.

When I've tackled him over the cap, he's stated that his distributor is Electronic, and that's the cap that came with it. Intertestingly, in our first 'phone conversation, he asked if I could sell him "a black cap". So, he basically realises that he's got the wrong cap...

He asked if I'd exchange the leads for a "correct" (ie: "Standard") set - I declined, on the basis that running "Standard" leads through a system requiring HEI leads would result in a warranty claim rather quickly.

I could have dumped the whole matter in eBay's lap, expended a bunch of time and effort, and had them side with him anyway simply as a matter of policy. Instead, I just accepted the return, blocked his User ID, and moved on.

You can make something completely idiot-proof, and they'll just invent a better idiot...

Message 7 of 11
Latest reply

It's been 2 days and  I accepted the return yesterday,  "buyer" has been completely silent. He has not said anything in the resolution centre.

Message 8 of 11
Latest reply

You may well not hear anything from the buyer, and just receive the returned item in a few days time. They'll have received notification that you've accepted a return, and may have just sent the item without updating the status in the Resolution Centre.

There's no obligation on them - other than basic politeness - to confirm that they've sent the item back.

Message 9 of 11
Latest reply

Make sure you record opening the returned item, in case the item is not the original one.

Message 10 of 11
Latest reply