Buyer has asked me to send parcel in a weeks time help

bmanly3
Community Member

Hi, I have a buyer who bought an item from me and he has asked that I post the item in a weeks time. I have messaged him and I have advised that I will do that. The only thing is that I did this once before and I got a "late postage" notice from ebay and they bumped me down from 100% on time postage.

My question is, can I avoid losing my 100% on time posting rating? I mean there should be a way to make adjustments for buyers requests like this. Any ideas on what I should do?

Message 1 of 16
Latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Re: Buyer has asked me to send parcel in a weeks time help

The other option is, send it with SOD, within your handling time. That way, if the buyer isn't home, it will be taken back to the PO to await collection from there.

Message 11 of 16
Latest reply

@bmanly3 wrote:

Thanks for your comprehensive reply. The only part I don't understand is where it says:

If you uploaded tracking information showing that the shipment was on time, contact Customer Service about removing the late shipment".

If you don't use an eBay postage label, eBay won't automatically count a tracked shipment as "on time", they'll ask the buyer "did it arrive by X date?", so you can upload tracking and have it showing as being lodged  / in transit within your handling time, but the buyer can still say "no" when asked the question, and eBay (in their infinite wisdom) has decided this = seller shipped late, unless they contact eBay and dutifully request that the scarlett letter be removed. 

Having taken a look at the items you sell, I think it would be remiss of me not to mention that a greater risk than a late shipment would be the loss of seller protection, which requires that you do ship on time and upload tracking etc. Your items are kinda high risk - regardless of whether the buyer is the most perfect customer in the world, I would be reluctant to risk that, especially if it was the $469 sale. 

I understand you've already come to an agreement with the buyer, but I figured it was better to be aware of this risk (no matter how minor it might be), before the order is sent. 

Message 12 of 16
Latest reply

I had a 'late shipment' defect removed yesterday...was quick & easy
Message 13 of 16
Latest reply

OK, so I got on to chat and I have a copy of the chat in my email. This is what they said:

---

since there is a mutual understanding between you and the buyer, it is completely  fine.

You can deliver the item as per the convenience of you and the buyer.

There won't be any defect for late potage. Once you have shipped the item. Kindly upload the tracking number and communicate through eBay messages. If there is any issue, kindly let us know. We shall look into this with best of our efforts.

---

Thanks to everyone who helped. As I have already made an agreement with the buyer I will honour that. I will be posting with Express and SOD at the agreed time. And to digital*ghost I take your point about posting within the time frame, thank you for your time and for explaining everything, I now know the risks.

I will let you all know how I get on and I will report back. Thanks again.

Message 14 of 16
Latest reply

Just mark as posted but don’t enter tracking info until you have posted it.
Message 15 of 16
Latest reply

Hi everyone, just an update here. I sent the parcel yesterday (Thursday 11/2) and it arrived today. Buyer was happy and gave me positive feedback.

I used a pre-paid satchel and lodged at the PO. Then I put the tracking number on my order and marked it sent. I had the RED LINE saying postage was overdue for 3 days. But until today I have not been marked or penalised in anyway for a late shippment. I think there must be a cut in time for a late shipment mark to appear, mine must not reached it.

If this changes over the next week or so I'll update the thread. Thanks to all that helped, cheers.

Message 16 of 16
Latest reply