Buyer requested a different postage option than quoted

prime00
Community Member

I recently sold an item which I had quoted a pre-paid stachel for postage. The satchel is a cheaper option than boxing, and it can be packed and sent safely without any damage. But the buyer has since messaged me after winning the auction and asked me to post in a box with padding. This will most likely end up costing me an extra $5-$10 on top of what I had specified for postage. Am I allowed to ask for extra to cover the new postage? If I have to fork out the extra postage myself, and after Ebay fees, I'm almost giving the item away.

I'm not a big seller, so I'm not sure of how to approach the situation. I don't want to make money off postage, but I shouldn't have to pay the extra if the buyer requests a different postage method without contacing me before bidding, right?

Message 1 of 11
Latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

Just make up the invoice with the amount of the postage and the packing materials and send it to the buyer.

As a buyer I can understand where your buyer is coming from.

I often have items sent in padded envelopes and satchels that really would be better boxed.  I end up with box sets of DVDs and books with smashed in corners when there is really no need for it.

Message 2 of 11
Latest reply

Thanks for the suggestion.

I do understand where the buyer is coming from too. I always pack everything very securely even in satchels. If I couldn't pack them safely, I wouldn't use satchels at all. Like you, I've been on the other end and had DVD's turn up with damaged/broken boxes and its not a nice feeling. So I understand the importance of packing it safely.

Message 3 of 11
Latest reply

Couldn't you just put them in a box and then put the box in the satchel?

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 4 of 11
Latest reply

I agree with Padi, sometimes we forget that you can still use a box but inside the satchel, getting the cheaper rate.

Also,, using the ebay labels with the flat rate for boxes, you can still pack quite cheaply.

e.g. the Bx1 postage is only $7.40 plus the cost of an Aust Post box

or the Bx2 postage is $12.05 plus the cost of an Aust Post box

and those rates will cover anywhere in Australia.    Usually much cheaper than calculated postage if you have to send some distance.

Message 5 of 11
Latest reply

I'll nearly always box then satchel if something is going interstate and it's over 500g. Saves the buyer heaps on postage. 

Message 6 of 11
Latest reply

I agree with Lyndal - send them an invoice for the extra amount. Explain that the postage price quoted is for a satchel, which is why the extra $$$ is required for a box.

This happens to me quite often and I always send the buyer message explaining that I can send them an invoice for the extra postage amount if they want, but that I've sent thousands of the item in question out in satchels/envelopes and have never had a problem. I also describe how I pack the item (eg: cardboard backing for items that need to be kept flat).

They usually change their mind after I send that message. If you can assure the buyer that you care about the item being received safely, they will usually trust you to pack/post how you see fit.

I also add that if anything does go wrong and the item is damaged, I'm willing to help. However, buyers in my category are generally  honest/good, and I know not all categories are like mine. You may not want to put the idea in their head that they can get a refund/replacement depending on your selling circumstances.

Message 7 of 11
Latest reply

The postage looks like it's going via the Global Shipping Program!
Message 8 of 11
Latest reply

Some great advice in this thread. I'll just say to message the buyer before going any further. Let them know it may be a few dollars more, just to cover the box and stamp cost. Check that they're alright with that and then make the invoice.

If it's those massive TMNT toys, you've quoted postage at just under $17. If may in fact be less than that if they will fit into a Bx2 box. The best way is to use eBay Postage and their printed postage label. Here is the pricing info:

Bx2 box ($2.40 if the item will fit) + eBay Post ($12.05, upto 3kg) - Total: $14.45

Bx4 box ($3.35, should fit easily) + eBay Post ($15.75, upto 5kg) - Total: $19.10

If it fits into a Bx2 box the total price is actually cheaper but if it needs a Bx4 box, then it's only a few dollars more.

If you don't know how to print a postage label using eBay Postage, another member will be able to tell you how. 🙂

Message 9 of 11
Latest reply

Actually I think the idea about the box inside the satchel is the best idea.

I think the OP has allowed for a 5 kg satchel - so there should be plenty of room for a box.      This would be good if the OP had a box at home already - doesn't have to be a new box - or pick up a recycled box from people like bunnings -

That way it won't cost the buyer any more, the buyer is happy, the seller is happy.

Message 10 of 11
Latest reply