Buyer says a camera I sold for parts only has a cracked screen & wants a refund.

I sold a Nikon camera for parts only as it was not working.   I double wrapped it in bubble wrap and posted it off marked FRAGILE on the bag.   Now the buyer says the screen is cracked and wants a refund.  I gave free postage and now have to pay $21.00 in postage to get this camera back. 

Why? 

The pics of the cracked screen I got sent show the camera now working!   Surely no refund is warranted??

It seems to me that Ebay is all for the BUYER and the seller can be screwed big time.   Very upset as I pride myself on full descriptions of all goods I sell and this one had NO cracked screen!   Very upset with Ebay, and will consider taking my business elsewhere.  

Message 1 of 4
Latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Buyer says a camera I sold for parts only has a cracked screen & wants a refund.

Has the buyer opened a dispute or only messaged to ask for a refund?

NEVERMIND ON TROUBLES!!! LET'S DO HOBBY!!!
Message 2 of 4
Latest reply

It does not matter that you labeled the package "fragile". Aust Post will not take responsibility nor do they bother with the word/s "fragile", "photos, do not bend" etc. unfortunately if you did not have any insurance on the parcel there is nothing you can do except refund the buyer. Parcels must be wrapped securely to withstand 20kg being dropped on them. It would have been safer to post it in a box rather than a satchel/bag, or in a box inside a bag.

And yes, eBay is all about the buyer, sellers are getting screwed left, right and centre and rarely will a seller win a case. Having said that, There was a case filed by a buyer for Not as Described, claiming the item was damaged. The seller, (quite brilliantly) looked the buyer up on Facebook, and there she was, out at a function, wearing the "damaged" item. The seller provided the pics to eBay and won the case. This is a very rare example of the seller winning a dispute.

On the other hand, I myself have been stung by the bs MBG where a buying claimed I sent the wrong size, uploaded pics of the "incorrect" size label so I accepted the return, somewhat baffled as to how there could be 2 different size labels on an article of clothing as one of my pics showed the sizing. I accepted the return. I paid for the return of the item. Upon receiving the item back, it was a completely different item. Guess what? eBay sided with the buyer and refunded. So I lost $120, my item and got stuck with an old, faded, well worn piece of clothing. Despite me pointing all this out to eBay, including the fact that their own policy states, items must be returned in the same condition it was received, their bs excuse was that the buyer returned an item and because they don't physically get to see the item they must refund the buyer!

So, unless you can categorically prove the camera wasn't cracked you will lose. It doesn't matter that the pics in your listing show the camera as you sent it, because between you having it, posting it and the buyer receiving it, it could have been damaged during transit.

Message 3 of 4
Latest reply

@matsta73 wrote:

I sold a Nikon camera for parts only as it was not working.   I double wrapped it in bubble wrap and posted it off marked FRAGILE on the bag.   Now the buyer says the screen is cracked and wants a refund.  I gave free postage and now have to pay $21.00 in postage to get this camera back. 

Why? 

The pics of the cracked screen I got sent show the camera now working!   Surely no refund is warranted??

It seems to me that Ebay is all for the BUYER and the seller can be screwed big time.   Very upset as I pride myself on full descriptions of all goods I sell and this one had NO cracked screen!   Very upset with Ebay, and will consider taking my business elsewhere.  

I would have thought that if it was listed specifically as parts only, ebay may have sided with you in a dispute.

However, if you showed a photo of a camera with no cracked screen in the listing & the buyer can show there was further damage by the time they got the item, then they probably have a case because sure, it was sold for parts but how do you know one of the parts they needed wasn't the screen? People can't expect better than what they bought but they probably don't expect further damage either.

I think you may have been better to bubble wrap it & send in a small box to protect it.

Message 4 of 4
Latest reply