Buyer says item is not what was in the listing.

Hello All

Recently i sold a second hand item.

However, today i received a message from the Buyer claiming that the item was not new with tags as described.

After double checking the listing. I can see that somehow when making my many other listings and using the "sell simmilar Item" feature I overlooked the fact that in the item details where you select from a drop down menu, that it has been listed as New With tags

The item does however Clearly State in the Item Description that it is second hand, and no tags are visible in my pictures i have uploaded. the price for the item and the offer that i accepted does indeed refplect that of the second hand condition of the item.

I assume that the responsibility is on my to corect this minor mistake, but given that it was clearly listed as second hand in the item description, i wanted to just double check whether the responsibility falls into me, or whether the responsibility falls into that of the seller for not reading the item descriptipn.

If a claim is made through ebay/pay pal, what will the most likely outcome be given that the item description clearly states second hand.

I am also considering just cutting my losses and just refunding the item and letting them keep it anyways, as i would have to spend another $10 to pay for the returned postage and to send the satchel with signature on delivery incase the buyer claims they never got the satchel.

I have responded to the seller and apologied for my oversight, and assuming she wants a refund have offered to send her a return postage satchel, for which i wil prepare and pay for via click and send, and then just send it in a letter. and then provide a full refund once i recieve it back. however i did want to just double check with some of the more expeienced sellers about my rights and obligations.

I always double check item descriptions and then contact the sllers if there appears to be any misleading information or descripencies before buying.

Advice is greatly appreciated

many thanks

Message 1 of 9
Latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

The seller has responded, and neither wants to return the item, or have a partial refund.
they said they were just letting me know and said that all they saw was the new with tags and did not read the item the item description.

I guess thats that then

Message 2 of 9
Latest reply

excelent result   i have done that before listed as a 4 litre can picture is 10 litre    product was 10 litre just gave them a 10 litre tub for a 4 litre price   things happen  have a nice day

Message 3 of 9
Latest reply

a good result for you. everyones human and can make mistakes.  In the past if the buyer doesn not want a refund I have given a small refund for my oversight to their paypal acc even when the buyer says not necessary.  you want them to either return or at least give you ok dashboard marks, or just not give any feedback if not appropriate rather than a neutral/neg.  what goes around comes around I say

Message 4 of 9
Latest reply

You have done well 🙂    It's such an easy mistake to make when doing multiple listings.

I found the exact same mistake just BEFORE I mailed an item recently.   I emailed the buyer and explained my mistake .... she sent back a reply, saying she hadn't even noticed the 'new with tags' bit ......

I think a bit of understanding helps .... especially when the item wasn't very expensive 🙂

Message 5 of 9
Latest reply

I'm glad it is accepted that as a seller we do make mistakes.

I have heard some horror stories from friends who have made tiny little mistakes like mine and even when fixing their mistake by refinding, the buyer still leaves mean negative feedback. so its nice to see that there isnt a lot of people out there like that.

As mentioned in my original Post, I am curious though to know if anyone has experience in disputes simmilar to my situation. Had the Buyer put in a claim, would Ebay/pay pal have ruled in my favor because the buyer didn't read the full description? or would they have ruled in their favor because one minor little detail was incorrect?

Message 6 of 9
Latest reply

What a bummer !!  I'm not sure what the end result will be with ebay/paypal, but at any rate, even if I have to pay extra to retrieve the item, I would make sure I do that.  Too often I hear of buyers who do just what you have described.  The buyer knows it will cost the seller to 'retrieve' it, so the seller just ends up refunding AND letting them keep it !!  I actually had someone try that on me.  When I said that I would have it 'retrieved' and refunded, they changed their mind and ended up keeping the item.  It was a nightmare, but I found in communications with ebay, they are aware that some buyers seem to take that approach (particularly when there is a change of mind like I described).

Message 7 of 9
Latest reply

Some buyers are most definitely considerate people when something is amiss. I had a buyer contact me yesterday telling me the ammonite pendant I sold her fell out of the setting and broke into 4 pieces on the concrete (she sent a photo). She didn't want a refund or anything, it was just a courtesy message to let me know to check any others that I might have, so it doesn't happen to someone else.

I felt absolutely terrible for her and even though she didn't want anything from me, I still offered her a replacement or a refund. She'd already left glowing feedback, so she couldn't hurt me that way, although I suppose she could have opened a dispute. I checked the other ones I had and the settings seemed to be really secure.

At first she said she didn't want a replacement or refund, but then said if it wasn't too much trouble, could I send her another one. She even offered to pay for it! No way would I accept payment for it. She only bought it 2 weeks ago, so the fact it fell apart and broke was totally unacceptable to me.

I posted her a new one today. She sounded so grateful and over the moon when I said I'd send her a new one! As someone else said, what goes around, comes around. Maybe she might buy something else off me now, maybe she might pay it forward to someone else. Either way, I made a buyers day and that made my day.

Go the considerate and understanding buyers!!!

Message 8 of 9
Latest reply

now thats what i call service 

Message 9 of 9
Latest reply