Buyer wanting to return item for refund when my terms are exchange only.

Hi, received this message from buyer today.

Unfortunately I received these today (32/dark brown) and they just don't fit right. I therefore require a refund. Can you please tell me where I need to send them to and any other details.

In the terms of sale I offer exchange only but the buyer is now quoting

Refunds by law: In Australia, consumers have a legal right to obtain a refund from a business for goods purchased if the goods are faulty, not fit for purpose or don't match description.

I know that the item is as described and is not faulty and that the buyer just doesn't like how they fit, I have offered to exchange them for another item but they have their mind set on a refund .

Any advise on how to proceed would be appreciated, I think I'm following the terms set out in the sale but I might be missing something that more experienced sellers may be aware of.

Thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 12
Latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Re: Buyer wanting to return item for refund when my terms are exchange only.

If your terms are exchange only, you are well within your rights to advise the buyer (once they have returned the item to you), that they will have a store credit with you for the sum of the item they purchased.  This buyer looks like they are going to be trouble, so it's up to you to decide if the drama is going to be worth it.

I never refund postage for a change of mind, its up to the buyer to return items to the store for a refund.  I would only refund postage, if the item was genuinely faulty.

Good Luck, hope things go smoothly for you

Message 11 of 12
Latest reply

Re: Buyer wanting to return item for refund when my terms are exchange only.

and the buyer's statement "not fit for purchase" won't wash - they are fit for the purpose

Just not a fit for her ample assSmiley LOL

Personally I offer a refund on return policy and if that means eating the postage one way it is just written off to customer service. I never let feedback enter the equation when deciding what is the right thing to do, if it means a neg or a defect so be it, I will not let a coloured dot on a computer screen dictate how I deal with my customers.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 12 of 12
Latest reply