Buyer wants a refund after 6 months!!!

taskiwi
Community Member

I don't sell very often but have just listed a few items.  Then I get an email (question on current listing) from a buyer who wants me to refund on an item  bought in July as they basically don't like it now. I'm gobsmacked.   Where do I stand? If I took it back now I presume I wouldn't get a refund of FVF and PP fees (about $45).

Message 1 of 46
Latest reply
45 REPLIES 45

The item was an antique diamond ring.  Totally accurately described and well photographed but apparently (reading between the lines) it is too wide for  the buyers finger so she doesnt like it.  I've bought items in the past that I didn't like but if they were accurately described I just sucked it up - it's the risk you take buying cheaply (wholesale) online.

Message 11 of 46
Latest reply

I notice from your feedback that you sold a few rings.  If it is a ring that this buyer wants to return, then ask yourself this "did I get a good price for the ring?" and "could I sell it again for more than the refund amount?".  This assumes that you would only refund the buyer the purchase price and not any postages, not that you are obligated to even reply to their message.

edit: I type too slow

Message 12 of 46
Latest reply

ahh ok - in that case, tough luck lol

I just noticed you sell rings and thought uh oh.. a stone has fallen out and youre liable. :s

Dont tell her she cant have a refund - yet. Id be really nice and understanding and ask to describe exactly whats wrong with it to see if the sitation is fixable. Get her to say straight out, or more of less, it doesnt fit properly... just to have it on file.

THEN tell her to go jump 😄

(is anyone else having issues with Ebay tonight? sooo sloowwwwww to loaddd)

Message 13 of 46
Latest reply

Only issue I'm having is I keep getting post flood messages, saying I have posted more than one message in 3,600 seconds.

I haven't tried to list or seach eBay tonight though, if that's what you're referring to.

Message 14 of 46
Latest reply

@gtx305 wrote:

Welcome to Australian Consumer Law 101 (because Im awesome) -

Australian Consumer Law only applies to registered businesses, it doesn't apply to private sellers.

Message 15 of 46
Latest reply

Oh dear I just researched the buyer on Toolhaus and its not good.  This was the reply to a customer who gave them a neg for a stained item      "You are a liar and you sound like a typical wog person who flew here NOT born he"

I think I will just politely tell them its been too long and to resell the ring on Ebay themself.  It was bought for a very good price considering what it is.

Message 16 of 46
Latest reply

I was under the impression if someone bought prior to Nov 1st, the new conditions did not apply.

There is no way I would be doing anything and certainly not accepting it back for a refund.

It has probably been worn on and off for 6 months, it may have extra scratches and wear and tear.

You would be hard pressed to go into any shop and get a refund after 6 months on most things.

Message 17 of 46
Latest reply

@springyzone wrote:

I was under the impression if someone bought prior to Nov 1st, the new conditions did not apply.

There is no way I would be doing anything and certainly not accepting it back for a refund.

It has probably been worn on and off for 6 months, it may have extra scratches and wear and tear.

You would be hard pressed to go into any shop and get a refund after 6 months on most things.

Your impression is correct Springy. Anything bought prior to Nov 1 doesn't apply. I reckon someone didn't read the rules properly and thinks it applies to any time before Nov. I'd definitely tell them to shove it where the sun don't shine.

Message 18 of 46
Latest reply

Correct. I think the OP is going to ignore them or tell them to go jump. Smiley Very Happy

image host
Message 19 of 46
Latest reply

Post #16 OP is going to tell them politely that no refund will be given

Message 20 of 46
Latest reply