Buyer wants to return?

Hi! 

I sold a Zara shirt to a buyer weeks ago [which was brand new with tags] and they have come back to me now saying there are "stains everywhere" and that they would like to return it and me paying both ways of shipping. They also stated the stain wouldnt come out so I assumed they washed it and have removed the tag. Being brand new, there were absolutely no stains on it when I sent it so I'm not sure what they are saying? I'm also leaving for Europe and won't be back until August if any shipping needs to be done. If they have taken the tags off, I don't want it back. I've never come across a problem like this before and would like an opinion on what to do! Am I being unreasonable? 

Thanks 🙂 

Message 1 of 11
Latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Buyer wants to return?

first of all how good were your photos - can you clearly see the tag and the fact that there were no stains?

I would stick to my guns I think, but not very experienced with returns, wait a bit for other posters' advice.  

Message 2 of 11
Latest reply

Buyer wants to return?

My guess is they have worn it, and spilt something on it and now don't want it any more. Unfortunately, when it comes to clothing, new or used, many people will buy to wear once, then claim there is a fault and want a refund.

If the buyer hasn't opened a dispute, politely tell them that they have had the shirt for X weeks, and ask why they didn't alert you to the issue when they first received it.

If you are on Facebook, check if the buyer has an account, because some buyers have been caught out wearing the purchased item and posting photos.

Sadly, if they open a dispute, it's your word against theirs and usually the buyer will win. The item is meant to be returned in the same condition it was sent, i.e with the tags still attached, so that could be your saving grace. And the fact they have washed it.

Hopefully someone else might have some further suggestions.

Message 3 of 11
Latest reply

Buyer wants to return?

Was that the red/orange shirt?

IMHO the photos are very clear with zero sign of any stains (and especially seeings as the claim is 'stains all over') 

Certainly sounds like a buy it, wear it and 'oops I stained it' freebie shopper

I agree about having a look if they are on Facebook,you would be amazed how many times someone has been busted trying to pull the same stunt (rather like people who fib to their boss about why they can't come into work, only to turn up on social media )

Also look at their feedback left for others to see if they mention getting refunds etc

Message 4 of 11
Latest reply

Buyer wants to return?

Agree with what the others have posted - certainly sounds like someone has bought it wear for an event and now wants to return it.

First I would ask for pictures that show the whole shirt in its entirety - which means that you want to see it with the TAGS STILL ATTACHED. You also want to see the whole shirt where it shows any staining. Do not settle for anything less than the correct images.

Secondly you can then point out that the tags have been removed, that it's obvious that the item has been worn and that you're not accepting any return. If you need to contact customer service for any reason, then keep your messages to the buyer professional and level-headed.

Please be aware that if a buyer does initiate a return, just keep an eye on the case as Ebay has enabled automatic returns under some circumstances, especially if you don't respond. I can't remember if there is a setting or preference to see if this is turned on or not.

Message 5 of 11
Latest reply

Buyer wants to return?

eBay's "Have us call you" option is by far the best way to get in touch with eBay, and I think it might be a good pre-emptive. (Emails are useless, for a number of reasons, but primarily because the responses, when they are finally sent, are bot-generated.)

eBay say: We'll call you at the phone number registered to your account, or you can enter a different number.

We’re available from 8am to 10pm AET, 7 days a week.

First of all, make sure you have all the information ready, neatly organised and to hand. Also, read through this post, and this post.

Make sure you have the following:

• A writing pad or enough paper to make clear and neat notes
  • A working pen (plus a spare)
  • An external recording device (that is, it's external to the phone on which you'll be speaking with eBay - legal issue)
  • Your listing details, in which you specifically say "Brand New With Tags" and where the photos clearly show that the shirt is not stained
  • Copy of the buyer's communication in which he/she says "stains everywhere" and that the stains wouldn't come out.
  • If you can do so, get the buyer to send you clear photos showing every stain that they claim is on the garment. If you word your request carefully, the buyer is more likely to do as requested. (e.g., "Please provide clear photos of the stains so that we can move forward quickly with regard to your return request." This doesn't use any "alert the buyer" terms such as "assess your claim" or "check your photos in comparison with our photos of the garment"; it also doesn't promise to issue a refund or accept a return although the buyer may assume that. Avoid any mention of the tags; with any luck the buyer will further shoot him/herself in the foot if the photos show that the tags are no longer there.)

Before you call, summarise how you want the conversation to go. Set objectives for the conversation and don't move past an objective until you have achieved it. For instance:

1. Briefly explain that you are worried that your buyer of item number xxxx has purchased a brand new item of clothing from you and is planning to make a fraudulent claim under the eBay Money Back Guarantee. (Very brief. This is an introduction to the situation, not where you argue your case.)
  2. Point to the listing itself. Of vital significance is the condition of the item (Brand New With Tags) and the photos which are extensive enough and clear enough to demonstrate that the garment has no stains. This is an important point, and you want the eBay CS rep to agree that the item condition is BNWT and that the photos show that it has no stains. You can't move on from this point until the CS rep agrees.
  3. Once the CS rep has agreed about the item condition, produce the buyer communication/s in which the buyer states that the garment has "stains everywhere" and that the stains wouldn't come out. If the buyer has sent you the clear photos that you requested, you can provide these; assuming that the buyer has stained the garment his/herself, the photos should show a significant difference before and after. What you want is that the eBay CS rep agrees that the condition is not the same as the condition in which you listed the item, and that by the buyer's own admission, the tags have been removed. Also by the buyer's own admission, he/she has washed the garment - and this means that it is now impossible for the buyer to return the garment in the condition in which it was sent.
    You can't move on from this point unless you patiently get the eBay CS rep to agree.
    1. That is, the tags have been removed; it is impossible for the garment to be returned in the condition in which it was sent;
    2. The garment has been washed; it is impossible for the garment to be returned in the condition in which it was sent.
  4. Once the CS rep has agreed that the garment can't be returned in the condition in which it was sent, and that it is possible (even likely) that the buyer may be preparing to misuse the MBG, ask for an assurance that if the buyer does attempt to open a claim of SNAD, you will not be obliged to accept the return nor will you be obliged to issue a refund.

If you record the call, get the CS rep's agreement at the start of the conversation. You should record the agreement, but if the rep says "no", you must switch off the recording device. Only proceed if you gain consent.

Make notes throughout the call as you go. (See the links to other posts earlier in this thread.)

Summarise the call towards the end before the call ends.

Good luck.

Message 6 of 11
Latest reply

Buyer wants to return?

Wait...The way you word that makes it sound like the customer is not claiming the item arrived stained, only that it is stained now. It seems that they are essentially asking for a refund because they stained it and can't wear it anymore.

Message 7 of 11
Latest reply

Buyer wants to return?

It sounds to me as if they stained it themselves and are returning it because they are unhappy with the material because it retains stains etc

I'd send a polite letter to them and explain that as they bought the item weeks ago and have obviously worn it, that it is no longer eligible for returns. Refunds are only possible when items are returned in new condition, exactly as they were sent, with tags attached. 

With luck, the buyer might shoot herself in the foot explaining how they were only ordinary stains and she expected them to come out etc etc, making it clear the stains were of her doing.

Then proceed as the others have advised.

Message 8 of 11
Latest reply

Buyer wants to return?

Yes, it was the red one! 

Yes, there were absolutely no stains. I checked facebook and instagram but their privacy settingd are on. I'll check the feedback but thanks. I'm not sure what to do about the situation as they said they'll open a case.. 

They also sent me a photo of one of the marks and it was not there. 

Message 9 of 11
Latest reply

Buyer wants to return?

It sounds very dodgy to me.    And if they are serious, why haven't they opened a dispute?   Sounds like they are trying to get you to make a mistake.

If it was me, I would sit it out I think.

Message 10 of 11
Latest reply