Buyer wins 'item not received' case even though Aus Post tracking has marked it as delivered

Hi,

A few days ago I had a buyer initiate a request for an 'item not delivered' case. The buyer stated that their items had been marked as delivered but that they hadn't actually received them. I responded almost immediately to the request asking if they could confirm their address, and saying that if it was correct, could they then initiate an item not recieved case with Aus Post. I also said to let me know if I could do anything else to help them. No response at all. The literal minute that the request can be elevated to ebay, it is. And twenty minutes later ebay has decided in the buyer's favour. Their reasoning: "We didn't receive valid proof of delivery from you."

Is Aus Post tracking somehow not valid? Is ebay really in the state where I can have something delivered, have it marked as delivered and then just say it wasn't to get it for free?

I'm going to contact ebay customer support tomorrow. Has anyone else been in a similar situation and been able to get the decision reversed?

Many thanks,

Hayden

Message 1 of 13
Latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Buyer wins 'item not received' case even though Aus Post tracking has marked it as delivered

You didn't upload the tracking number into the dispute. That's why the buyer won the case. I had one earlier this year and within an hour or so of uploading the tracking, the dispute was closed in my favour. Do as the other's have said and get onto the live chat and see if you can get the decision reversed.

Message 11 of 13
Latest reply

In retrospect it seems I may have been too worked up over this. When I searched for the issue, past posts basically said 'bad luck, ebay nearly always sides with the buyer' which mirrors other sentiment I've seen on here. I'm glad I was able to get it sorted. Thank you all for your help.

Ebay mostly sides with the buyer where tracking hasn't been uploaded, or in the case of a Not as Described dispute.

Having said that, I think it is a stupid system to make the seller upload the tracking again, when it was already in the transaction and should be automatically imported into the dispute.

Perhaps you should extend out your handling time to give you more of a buffer which will reduce the chances of a dispute, especially with backlogs in the system which are sometimes taking several days to clear.

Unless you can get a reversal of the decision, you might want to advise the buyer that they should have rejected the parcel as they were refunded. They cannot keep the item and your money, so you are now considering a claim of theft against them.

Message 12 of 13
Latest reply

@tipping-point -

I had one last year. Buyer opened a case literally while the item was on the truck to her house. I uploaded tracking and yet the case stayed open for three damn days! Only right at the end did it close in my favour, with a cheeky note from CS which basically said they found in my favour, but next time I must send within my handling time. My handling time was 3 days and I sent on day 2. Now my handling time is at least 5 days+

So, so stupid.

Message 13 of 13
Latest reply