Buyer won auction and payed then request cancellation

Yesterday, an auction of mine had sold and been won by a bidder. They then paid it overnight, then this morning I receive a message from the buyer along the lines of their child accidentally won the auction and accidentally paid for it through their account. After thinking about it, I concluded something fishy is going on but have no idea what it is or how to act. I read up on other community posts: https://community.ebay.com.au/t5/Selling/A-buyer-wants-to-cancel-the-transaction-after-the-auction-h...

Where this seems to be a common thing and I should file a dispute and get a non-payer strike on the buyers account. However I am even more unsure about this because the buyer HAS already paid. Any help would be appreciated, my next option is to contact eBay anyways.

Message 1 of 15
Latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Strictly speaking, you don't "have to" comply with the buyer's request, but the buyer might be nasty if you don't and possibly open a return request saying the item has issues.

I have also seen neg fb left by buyers whose cancellation request had been rejected, but such fb can be removed by eBay if you contact them.

I would probably cancel and block if I were a seller.

Message 2 of 15
Latest reply

Ok, so Iโ€™ve just had a look at the bidding history of the item you sold for $720. 

Your buyer (child) managed to put a bid on, got outbid , then placed another higher bid, and won? 
Thenโ€ฆ. Paid? 

โ€ฆ.yeah right!!! 

Itโ€™s buyers remorse! (IMO)

Pack it up and pack it super well so it canโ€™t get broken in transit.  Post it WITH TRACKING. Make sure you post it over the counter at the PO so you have a receipt that includes the tracking number and weight of the item, plus destination postcode! 

Upload the  tracking number into eBay, mark item as posted,  then just sit back and wait.

I wouldnโ€™t bother contacting the buyer.  Zero contact until they receive the parcel and if they open a case, come back here, and weโ€™ll walk you through that too.

MAKE SURE YOU USE TRACKING, AND UPLOAD IT TO EBAY. 

********* *********** *********** ************ ************ *********** ***********
Be Kind To Nurses....
They Stop The Doctors From Killing You.
Message 3 of 15
Latest reply

Nooooo Jane, noooo

It's a gamer, they'll find something wrong with it, even a scratch, and claim INAD

Too much trouble for my liking.

I'd just refund and block 'em.

Message 4 of 15
Latest reply

Me2. lol

Message 5 of 15
Latest reply

This buyer is now bidding on another graphics card (or is it his child?) - obviously cheaper, so he didn't want the first one any more.

Message 6 of 15
Latest reply

You may want to report the "buyer" to eBay on the basis of their account being compromised. If their child is repeatedly bidding, buying and paying, their security is certainly compromised. It's almost as bad as if their demon-possessed goldfish rose from the depths of fishbowl Hell and rampaged through their bank accounts.

Message 7 of 15
Latest reply

I'd feel like doing what Jane suggested because your buyer is a liar but in practical terms, you'd be better off following what imastawka and papermoon said. Cancel it as buyer's request and block them.

Maybe send a kind & concerned message to the buyer that of course you have cancelled it as requested and you have let ebay know that their account has been compromised.

Message 8 of 15
Latest reply

Addition to Janes suggestion if you decide to go ahead in sending the item  - Take lots of photos of the item plus maybe video showing packing the item up - this way if a claim is done like INAD or Scratched Damaged etc even the claim Seller sent a Empty box, you have photographic and video evidence to back you up against any claims.

Message 9 of 15
Latest reply

1. If they send the item they are nutz... it's a simple. request to cancel.

2. If the OP takes lots of photos & a video then he will have lots of photos & a video & no evidence.

Message 10 of 15
Latest reply