Buyers asking to cancel a sale

Twice in the past few weeks I have had buyers asking to cancel the sale as it "was an accident and they didn't mean to buy it" or "I didn't realise I had bought it until got the email from ebay" and it's driving me crazy. I ask them politely to honour their agreement and pay but they didn't so i ended up reporting them to ebay as an unpaid item and got my fees back but it's such a waste of time. And they're not even newbies! Has anyone else had this happen and what do you do?
Message 1 of 6
Latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

How I handle situations like that really depends on how the customer does. In general, if a buyer contacts me after purchase and lets me know they aren't going ahead with the transaction, I'll accept any reasonable explanation and offer to send through a mutual cancellation. (Reasonable explanation for me includes buyer error, like admitting they didn't read the listing in full, then realised it wasn't going to be suitable, or - as has happened a couple of times recently - buying after receiving a voucher code that didn't work when they went to pay). 

I do mutual cancellations in those circumstances because it's quicker and easier all-round (I just feel it's better for customer relations, sometimes (like in the case of the vouchers) it's not the buyer's fault, and I can put the item back up for sale straight away), plus they've indicated they'd be amenable to accepting a cancellation and at least the buyers contacted me very quickly and let me know, rather than just bought and were never heard from again. 

If I had to contact them (which I don't do until around day 5 or 6), and/or I got a message that didn't offer a reasonable explanation, I would most likely do the UPI dispute (theoretically, anyway - that scenario hasn't actually happend yet Smiley LOL So far, every time I have to follow up on an unpaid item, the buyer either never responds at all, or pays). 

Message 2 of 6
Latest reply

same as above if contacted straight away then i cancel, relist and move on. If no reponse and it gets to UPi stage I just go that route.

My items are all BIN so I'm not loosing an underbidder, only 20c list fee.

It happens, easier to accept and not waste time over it.

Actual excuse is irrelevent and most people make up white lies anyway, and you will never know.

the thing that irks me is when they request cancellation, you send it, and they dont respond to it. So you have to wait until it expires to get fvf back

-------------------------------

ASSUMPTION IS THE MOTHER OF ALL STUFF UPS!!
Message 3 of 6
Latest reply

If they are up front and honest and say they have stuffed up then I will usually offer a mutual cancellation after getting them to confirm in an ebay message that they will agree to agree to it.

If they come out with some bovine excrement excuse like the kid/cat/bird/rabbit/goldfish did it then I open an unpaid item disute on day 4.

If they try and say they did not buy it I send them an email saying hiw sorry I am that their account has been compromised and as they may not know how to fix it I have reorted the account to ebay as being hi-jacked and I am sure they will be in touch soon to put things back within their control. I add that in order to get my fees back I will have to go through the unpaid item process but I am sure as the account was hi-jacked at the time of purchase ebay will be willing to remove the resulting strike.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 4 of 6
Latest reply

@phorum_junkie* wrote:

If they are up front and honest and say they have stuffed up then I will usually offer a mutual cancellation after getting them to confirm in an ebay message that they will agree to agree to it.

If they come out with some bovine excrement excuse like the kid/cat/bird/rabbit/goldfish did it then I open an unpaid item disute on day 4.

If they try and say they did not buy it I send them an email saying hiw sorry I am that their account has been compromised and as they may not know how to fix it I have reorted the account to ebay as being hi-jacked and I am sure they will be in touch soon to put things back within their control. I add that in order to get my fees back I will have to go through the unpaid item process but I am sure as the account was hi-jacked at the time of purchase ebay will be willing to remove the resulting strike.

I'm so glad to hear that, cos i can assure you that I did nuffin'!

I'm a good goldfish!

Some people can go their whole lives and never really live for a single minute.
Message 5 of 6
Latest reply

Crikey I wish you would do it, I have waited all these years for someone to say the goldfish did it! 

The others have all been used at some time so I live in hope lol.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 6 of 6
Latest reply