Buyers paying import duties

We ship a few things internationaly with UPS and DHL.

At the moment i have a customer in the UK who is refusing to pay the import duties and says he will leave the item there and get his money back.

The UK is particularly bad. 30% on anything over 16 pounds ($30)

Anyway, we have the usual "buyer is responsible for customs charges" paragraph in the e mail they get when they complete the postage but clearly they do not read that.

We cannot add it to the item description because we have a custom image as the item description and any changes we make overide the image.

Does anybody know the best way to make the buyers aware they have to pay import duties?

Something underneath postage cost / est delivery time would be great.

Even better would be an inport duties calculator so that international buyers can automatically see how much they will pay.

Message 1 of 5
Latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

If there is such a calculator available the best way to access it may be on the UK site.

You could try the boards there....members may have some advice for you.

Or try the UK Customs site....straight from the horse's mouth so to speak.

Message 2 of 5
Latest reply

Can you add a link to a calculator?

Message 3 of 5
Latest reply

@motoxart wrote:

We ship a few things internationaly with UPS and DHL.

At the moment i have a customer in the UK who is refusing to pay the import duties and says he will leave the item there and get his money back.

Contact ebay - they should be ineligible for a refund through the MBG because of their refusal to pay, and therefore refusal to collect the package. (In other words, they can't claim INR, because it did arrive and delivery was essentially attempted, they just refused to accept delivery - the only way they can qualify for protection is if you over-declared the item value and can they provide proof; and they certainly have no grounds to claim INAD, either).  

It would be nice if there was something in checkout maybe that made it clear import duties could be payable upon arrival in a buyer's country, but I also have to wonder how insulated someone has to be in this day and age - where we have a fairly well established worldwide marketplace, not just on eBay - to not be aware of such things on their own, TBH. This "imagine my shock" thing UK buyers pull when the charges get applied is getting a bit old, as you'd think enough people have been "surprised" by now for the news to have rippled through most of the country. Smiley LOL

I guess upload a gallery photo? One that says "delivering outside of Aus? Please be aware import duties may be payable - check your local customs office for more information".

Spoiler
P.S. You're not actually supposed to have descriptions in image format, you may know this already, but thought I'd mention it anyway. 

Message 4 of 5
Latest reply

You could send them this link, just to remind them of their obligations under ebay UK  user agreement policies.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/help/buying/postage-delivery/changing-delivery-address-method/international-p...

Message 5 of 5
Latest reply