Can someone help me navigate postage please?

jahew_3070
Community Member

Hi there,

I have never really sold much on ebay but lately have sold a few things and will be looking to sell more. I am looking for some clarification on the postage and immediate payment as I can't make sense of it all myself. So here's hoping someone will be kind enough to shed some light.

My question is; how does payment for postage work when I list as buy-it-now and request immediate payment for listing? Once the buyer purchases it and tells me their location I get a quote on postage and then send them an invoice via ebay for the shipping costs?

Message 1 of 5
Latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

No, you are expected to put in the postage in the listing.

The easiest way is to choose calculated postage and then put in the dimensions and weight - that way it will be correct wherever the buyer may be.

However, most sellers use  satchels at designated weights - for example a small Australia Post satchel bought from the PO will cost approx $9.50  and can weigh up to 5 kg - so if you are selling small items that would be the way to go.

I suggest having a read of the Australia Post calculate postage site - practice doing some labels (as draft) so you get an idea.

https://auspost.com.au/parcels-mail/calculate-postage-delivery-times/#/

Message 2 of 5
Latest reply

In addition to what has been advised by Carraone, immediate payment does not mean you will get the payment immediately.  As a new seller you will have a 30 day hold on your funds if on managed payments until Ebay see you are a trusted seller.  Cash on pick up is a whole other story.  It would probably be advisable to read through "selling on Ebay" 

Message 3 of 5
Latest reply

bmanly3
Community Member

Postage is generally all the same rate for the whole of Australia, doesn't matter if they are at Dubbo or Darwin or Melbourne. OnIy some rural areas may cost more but not if you are using the Aust Post satchels. I looked at some of your sales and you seem to have worked it out already. Just state the cost of postage with your ad, then the buyer knows how much they will pay and you will know how much compensation you will get for that postage, cheers.

Message 4 of 5
Latest reply

bmanly3
Community Member

Forget the part where I said "I looked at some of your sales and you seem to have worked it out already." I accidentally clicked on the wrong user name listings. Whilst I'm here I thought I'd better explain rural postage.

I had to send a parcel to Kangaroo Island once. On a Aust Post business account there was no bulk sale discount to this area because it was rural and I was on band 1. But I also had some express post pre paid satchels. It was cheaper for me to send the pre paid satchel and it was the same flat rate as for the rest of the country, cheers.

Message 5 of 5
Latest reply