Can't please all the people.....

I had an item listed on my selling id - $39.95 + $7.95 postage

Read on the boards somewhere that Free Post is good for helping sales - relisted once all had sold and new stock in - $45.95 FREE POST - got this questiion (statement actually) today from a 'potential buyer' : "These were only $39 a couple weeks ago" how do you respond to that? (Politely) I replied they were $39.95 yadda yadda, so really it is a saving of $1.95. No worries, just seems some people don't get it? And I am wondering what did they think I was going to do, OMG - let me discount that for you, I am so sorry you didn't buy it at the - more expensive price" ?????

don't take life too seriously.......it's not permanent
Message 1 of 17
Latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

calsof
Community Member

The assumption is that people see the extra postage charge and whimp away from an item... and they probably do. They normally do the math but, whether or not they do, they prefer to buy something for $50 instead of $40 + $10 postage; all things being equal, that is.

My personal thought is that Ebay makes a big deal of this fact for its own benefit. If you charge $40 + $10 postage, Ebay fees are only charged on the $40. If you charge $50 with free postage, Ebay fees are charged on the $50.

That being said, I've only ever listed with free postage because I do think it works ๐Ÿ˜ž

Sorry,back on topic-I have no comment
Message 2 of 17
Latest reply

Sure, they can have it for 39.95 + 7.95 as listed 2 weeks ago. ๐Ÿ˜‰

image host
Message 3 of 17
Latest reply

Agree with calsof. Sometimes people just see the first number and if it's too big they walk away.

Message 4 of 17
Latest reply

Many of the standard lists (eg: Watch List, Searches) are configured by default NOT to show the postage cost.

So, they might see the old one on the Watch List at $39, and the relisted one is at a higher price.

Message 5 of 17
Latest reply

My theory has always been that two separate costs makes two definitive impressions, and it's reinforced throughout eBay (particularly by the DSRs, which ultimately ask buyers to separate the postage cost from total price, if it wasn't free, and evaluate/judge it). I think that's part of the reason why so many people take issue with postage that is more than what the service costs - total price is not irrelevant, but when it's comprised of two individual components with a specific name attached to them (purchase price + postage), it still (if even just on a subconscious level) creates what I call a value impression because people focus on two prices individually then add them to get the total price.

The purchase price of $39.95 at first glance appears like better value than a purchase price of $45.95, and some people will focus on that sort of thing.

For an interesting anecdote... Several months ago, when free post seemed to be one of the primary factors in Best Match rankings, I decided to try it on my jewellery and actually most of them had a cheaper overall price than when they had postage added. My sales virtually stopped, so, a couple of weeks later, I switched back to my old pricing structure, which of course increased the total price. Within 48 hours I sold more than I did in the whole time they were free post.

Message 6 of 17
Latest reply

My theory has always been that two separate costs makes two definitive impressions, and it's reinforced throughout eBay (particularly by the DSRs, which ultimately ask buyers to separate the postage cost from total price, if it wasn't free, and evaluate/judge it). I think that's part of the reason why so many people take issue with postage that is more than what the service costs...

For an interesting anecdote... Several months ago, when free post seemed to be one of the primary factors in Best Match rankings, I decided to try it on my jewellery and actually most of them had a cheaper overall price than when they had postage added. My sales virtually stopped, so, a couple of weeks later, I switched back to my old pricing structure, which of course increased the total price. Within 48 hours I sold more than I did in the whole time they were free post.

d*g, you can't win. Either postage is too high or the overall price is too high with free postage... ๐Ÿ™‚

How did you go about changing the free postage listings back to with postage? I'm thinking of trying with postage if my current free postage listings don't work out.

Message 7 of 17
Latest reply

I bulk edited the price and postage in selling manager - the prices all had to be done individually, but to switch to free standard post only takes a couple of clicks (switching back took a little longer as I had a couple of different rates, but you can tick all the ones with the same rate and do them all at once).

Message 8 of 17
Latest reply

d*g, you can't win. Either postage is too high or the overall price is too high with free postage... ๐Ÿ™‚

The annoying thing is that back a while ago, there wasn't the Duplicate Listings policy, and that made things much easier.

What I did (back then) was have 2 separate listings - one with Free Postage to appeal to "those people" and another listing with the item at a lower price and higher postage (appealing to a different type of person).

I never really found much difference between the sales levels - in other words I couldn't decide if one "worked better". I never really noticed better search ranking either, but I didn't bother researching that too much. I am now convinced that there needs to be both. However sellers have to do completely different listings (pictures, title text, whatever) just so that they can also offer separate price strategies.

Message 9 of 17
Latest reply

GRRR - I hate the quote system on these forums - that previous post DID have the closing tag, but it didn't work...

The annoying thing is that back a while ago, there wasn't the Duplicate Listings policy, and that made things much easier

What I did (back then) was have 2 separate listings - one with Free Postage to appeal to "those people" and another listing with the item at a lower price and higher postage (appealing to a different type of person).

I never really found much difference between the sales levels - in other words I couldn't decide if one "worked better". I never really noticed better search ranking either, but I didn't bother researching that too much. I am now convinced that there needs to be both. However sellers have to do completely different listings (pictures, title text, whatever) just so that they can also offer separate price strategies.

Message 10 of 17
Latest reply