Can't please all the people.....

I had an item listed on my selling id - $39.95 + $7.95 postage

Read on the boards somewhere that Free Post is good for helping sales - relisted once all had sold and new stock in - $45.95 FREE POST - got this questiion (statement actually) today from a 'potential buyer' : "These were only $39 a couple weeks ago" how do you respond to that? (Politely) I replied they were $39.95 yadda yadda, so really it is a saving of $1.95. No worries, just seems some people don't get it? And I am wondering what did they think I was going to do, OMG - let me discount that for you, I am so sorry you didn't buy it at the - more expensive price" ?????

don't take life too seriously.......it's not permanent
Message 1 of 17
Latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Re: Can't please all the people.....

GRRR... 

I never really found much difference between the sales levels - in other words I couldn't decide if one "worked better". I never really noticed better search ranking either, but I didn't bother researching that too much. I am now convinced that there needs to be both. However sellers have to do completely different listings (pictures, title text, whatever) just so that they can also offer separate price strategies.

That's fair, though. Because otherwise the sellers who manufacture their own products or just sell them straight from the warehouse would totally capitalise on the market and hardly anyone else would get a chance. Search results would be flooded with 100s of the same item from the same seller.

I think you're right - both free and with would probably work the best in most cases to attract both types of thinking.

Message 11 of 17
Latest reply

Man, now I've gotta go back and rethink it all............so you think the actual 'sell price' is the key --- postage is an after thought? I have read so many conflicting idea's that my head is in a perpetual spin. Heeeelp

Example: SELL $49.95 FREE POST against $39.95 + $9.95 post

what grab's ya???? honestly - any buyers out there????

Message 12 of 17
Latest reply

What ya sellin? B-)    (Hi Koala:-))

Shown this way, I think for most it wouldn't matter.

But when you have the price on it's own, postage is an after thought for many, and certainly most wouldn't remember postage from last listing, but will certainly remember the price.

So perhaps 39 with postage will attract more.

image host
Message 13 of 17
Latest reply

Point well taken, okay Kopes:-D, back to the drawing board, I had a phenomenal weekend sales wise, almost could not keep up, but since Monday , slow slow slow:-(, you just can not pick it can you, this is so so different from any form of retail I have ever known...I am sure there is a trick to it, still just trying to find it?:|

Message 14 of 17
Latest reply

Man, now I've gotta go back and rethink it all............so you think the actual 'sell price' is the key --- postage is an after thought? I have read so many conflicting idea's that my head is in a perpetual spin. Heeeelp

Example: SELL $49.95 FREE POST against $39.95 + $9.95 post

what grab's ya???? honestly - any buyers out there????

That's why these forums are both a blessing and a curse... 😛

So much information, theories, strategies, opinions and so on, much of it conflicting and/or not applicable or conducive to certain items, categories or sellers....And that's just the stuff from sellers, ask buyers and even more gets thrown into the mix. :^O

But your thread title is considerably apt - you can't employ every strategy, and you'll never be able to please or appeal to every type of buyer - some prefer free post, some mistrust it, so the best thing to do (and stay sane!) is just work out how you want to sell, maybe trying new things every so often and see if they work. JMHO.

All I do is try to be the kind of seller I'd love to buy from. I put free post on a select few things that doesn't look at all like it inflates the purchase price, and leave post costs on the 99% remaining, simply because I know I ultimately prefer to buy from sellers who can give greater value via postage discounts, so that's what I offer.  I'd go nuts if I changed things every time someone said "buyers love xxxx and hate yyyy". :8}

Message 15 of 17
Latest reply

The world is made of different people who all have different reasonings.. We all sell different products that fit diferrent selling methods,

Stop over analising to find the golden rule there isnt one. Try both and adapt the one for you that either brings in most sales OR simplifies your business. Its all swings and roundabouts, I go with free post as it cuts out a whole lot of processes and stops squabbling about postage costs

-------------------------------

ASSUMPTION IS THE MOTHER OF ALL STUFF UPS!!
Message 16 of 17
Latest reply

Thanks to all - I will do a bit of waiting, see how it pans out. DG - you are right, it is confusing at times, mind you I think I would go competely off my onion it if I couldn't come here help (even confuddling help) :^O

Message 17 of 17
Latest reply