Can we talk about Promoted Listings please?

My sales have just about dried up in both my shops, from multiple daily sales in each, I am down to the odd small sale in one or the other every 2-3 days.  eBay insist I am visible, and advise using the seller centre hints to try to streamline my listings to make them more attractive.....yeah right, that means paying listing fees for auctions, offering free postage and 1 day handling and basically anything that puts more money into eBay's coffers. 

I decided to try Promoted Listings instead, another site I sell on has those and they work quite well for me (same product line).  I set up a campaign in each shop, went with the default 5% commission, but in the first few days I am seeing quite a lot of impressions, but precious few clicks, 1 on one shop and 2 on the other.  Okay, eBay only charge the commission on sales, not clicks, which I guess is reasonably good, as the other site charges per click.  But the results so far just make me more convinced I've been squeezed out this month.  My total sales across both shops are about 25% of normal.

Has anyone who has used these Promoted Listing had good sales from them?  Any tips for using them?

Cheers,

Penny
Message 1 of 16
Latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

@pennyforum14 wrote:

DG, the way I understand it, there are ads attached to promoted listings, and they appear in the right hand frame of the search results page.  If one of your promoted items appears as an ad on a search result page, that is an impression, if the searcher then clicks that ad, then that is a click.  It doesn't matter where your items actually appear in the search results, if your "bid", as in the amount you agree to pay, is high enough your ad can appear on page one even if your actual listing doesn't apear until page ten.  That is how it works on the other site I use, and from reading all the info I understood it to work the smae here, but I may be wrong. 

That makes sense (I remember reading the info, but obviously didn't retain any of it for whatever reason Smiley LOL ).

With side-bar ads, I suspect a lot of the time they're kind of tuned out by people as they scan along the main search results. I wonder if an impression is still counted if the ad is technically there, but not visible due to adblockers (100% of the time the sidebar ads don't appear when I search with Firefox, about 70% of the time they don't appear when I search with Chrome, I have definitely noticed a select few ads when I'm looking at a search results page, but I reckon I've clicked on 1% of what I've seen, as a lot of them are completely irrelevant to my search - on the other site, if it's the same one I sell on, the promoted listings appear with all the other listings in normal search results, though there's a visible indication that it's an ad, there's nothing else to distinguish it from general search results, and they are usually quite relevant to my search). 

Message 11 of 16
Latest reply

It probably is the same site, there is a row of four ads across the top of the page, then another one about halfway down the page.

I do think that is a better layout because the ads are in with the general search results, not off to the side where it is obvious they are not part of the search results.  But given that eBay only charge for the ads if you actusally get a sale, I thought this might be worth trying out.

Cheers,

Penny
Message 12 of 16
Latest reply

i dont think ive ever clicked on a sidebar advert/promotion. as i detest unsolicited adverts i make a point of never clicking on them. i just read the main results of my search. allways use either worldwide newly listed or price and post lowest first. never use the ebay 'best match. unless i choose australia only.

Message 13 of 16
Latest reply

I've got quite a few sales from Promoted Listings but then the items I sell and are a bit niche so a lot of the time it means my listings will come up multiple times in a general search. Could be first page, could be tenth - could be both.

The only thing I find a bit confusing is that my Promotions state "Australia Campaign" yet they still sell Internationally via Promoted Listings (thought it was Aus only?).

Brad @ The Video Rescuers

Message 14 of 16
Latest reply

The Promoted listings referred to in this almost FOUR YEAR OLD thread are entirely different to those you are talking about.

Message 15 of 16
Latest reply

This thread is over 3 years old.  Please let old threads stay where they belong.  Topic has been brought up numerous times since then.  Always a good idea to check dates

Message 16 of 16
Latest reply