Cancelling an order after closing an unpaid item case

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there, 

So i'm wondering how I go about cancelling a sale, it was processed but the buyer never sent payment, so i opened an unpaid item case and they still didn't pay. So now I want to cancel the sale, I've waited the minimum 5 day waiting period before being able to close the case, I managed to close it, eBay notified me that closing the case was successful, but now when I try to cancel the sale, It won't let me, saying there's still an open case on the item. What's going on here?

Message 1 of 7
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

I don't know what you can see as a seller as I don't sell, but I can tell you what a buyer sees.

Until an item is paid for it sits in the buyer's Purchase History awaiting payment.

If a buyer receives a refund the item then goes back into their Purchase History as awaiting payment.

As your buyer never paid it will still be showing that they need to pay and that will not change until they either archive the transaction or it archives automatically after a few weeks.

I would assume that it is a similar situation in the seller's view.

Don't worry about it....you have successfully closed the dispute and will get your fees refunded. 

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 7
Latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

You have already cancelled the transaction by opening and closing the dispute.  You only have to wait 4 days to close it, not 5.

You will now get your fees refunded and the buyer will get a strike.

Neither of you can leave feedback.

Message 2 of 7
Latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

If that's the case, how come I can still see the sale and it still says 'Awaiting Payment' ?

Message 3 of 7
Latest reply

I don't know what you can see as a seller as I don't sell, but I can tell you what a buyer sees.

Until an item is paid for it sits in the buyer's Purchase History awaiting payment.

If a buyer receives a refund the item then goes back into their Purchase History as awaiting payment.

As your buyer never paid it will still be showing that they need to pay and that will not change until they either archive the transaction or it archives automatically after a few weeks.

I would assume that it is a similar situation in the seller's view.

Don't worry about it....you have successfully closed the dispute and will get your fees refunded. 

Message 4 of 7
Latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable
Okay, thanks for the help
Message 5 of 7
Latest reply

You're welcome.

BTW you are not the first person to come to the boards wondering why items are showing as awaiting payment after they have been refunded or cancelled.  It is just one of the quirks of the system.

Message 6 of 7
Latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

If that's the case, how come I can still see the sale and it still says 'Awaiting Payment' ?

if the dispute is closed, the item should have a note on it  - something like "dispute closed, relist your item?"

In which case you can chose to relist.    Plus in your sold items - you  can simply delete the unpaid item, and it will disappear.

Message 7 of 7
Latest reply