Chargebacks

Hello

We have received a chargeback via paypal assuming that the buyer paid by credit card. The details of the chargeback are vague. All we know is that it is a merchandise chargeback for approx $50 for an item not as described or damaged in some way. Paypal does not cover us for seller protection in this instance. We have had no contact from the buyer at any point. The items were delivered by tracked post 3 weeks ago.

Paypal have said - send us a picture and other totally useless stuff like that so they can fight it. They dont really have any intention of that of course.

I would be interested to hear of any useful ways of fighting chargebacks. We dont actually know the nature of the complaint as there has been no contact with the buyer but I am struggling to see how some paper party bags get damaged in the post. However perhaps we did send the wrong item we dont actually know!

We have so far

- Lodged a report to ACORN and told the buyer we have reported the transaction to ACORN as there has been no contact from them. Whilst we are not perfect sellers if there is an issue we need to know to resolve it! We have no idea of what the issue is if any other than a merchandise chargeback.

- Submitted a copy of our returns policy including any disputes to paypal which the buyer is in breach of as they failed to inform us of any issues or submit any evidence to us of such - which leads me to suggest its fraud.

- 2 people can confirm what was sent as the packing process includes a 2 stage check to make sure goods sent are as ordered.

Its only $50 but its the principle. Any other ideas of fighting such fraud are welcome!

Message 1 of 23
Latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

Chargebacks

The items could be damaged. If I received damaged items I would let the seller know. I wouldnt lodge a chargeback.

The fact that there has been no ebay claim tells me this was paypal via a CC and backed up by paypal telling me.

I've been selling online for a long time and I can usually spot fraud. Not every time granted but this one has all the hall marks of it. No phone number available slightly mis spelt surnames no comms no response to messages etc etc.

Message 21 of 23
Latest reply

Chargebacks

I only do auctions and get both messages. I don't know if auction items can go in the cart ornot. I've never tried. I do have a BIN option but most sell as auction. I guess it's possible some people could put it in the cart before bidding. I've got a few auction items on my watch list. I'll see what gives with the cart when I get home from work tonight. 

Message 22 of 23
Latest reply

Chargebacks

Tippy, I have a seller who puts my items in the cart when she sends me a final invoice.....always multiple purchases, sometimes auction, sometimes BIN.

I have even been able to use an ebay voucher during the payment....very nice when it is a 20% voucher and the invoice is up round $200+.

Message 23 of 23
Latest reply