Child made purchase

the joys of children

Buyer won item and now claims 6 year old child made the purchase.

Have asked the buyer to request mutual cancellation of the sale but I am a little annoyed to be honest about the whole thing.

Sorry just wanted to vent

Message 1 of 13
Latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Child made purchase

I had three purchases  where the 6 months old child bought the items.

Message 2 of 13
Latest reply

Child made purchase

It can happen.

When my son was three he bought a Christmas decoration 'Santa on a motor bike.

He managed to bid $1000.

Thank goodness no-one else bid on it and I only had to pay $20.

It could have been one very expensive purchase.

We laugh about it every Christmas but I wasn't laughing when the auction had only minutes to go and my top bid was $1000.

Message 3 of 13
Latest reply

Child made purchase

I also have similar case like you. Later on the child's mum ask me to cancel the transaction. I have to cancel it. / Sigmatraders
Message 4 of 13
Latest reply

Child made purchase

I think you would be the exception, caznjack, in that you were telling the truth and were prepared to go through with the purchase. It's amazing how many children, pets, etc seem to by things on eBay that the account owner doesn't want.

The object lesson is not to leave your account signed in when there are others around, if that is indeed what happened.

Message 5 of 13
Latest reply

Child made purchase

Don't let that annoy you otherwise a lot of things on eBay will blow your head off.

We get that once or twice daily. At least we know not to hang onto stock for a few weeks not knowing if they'd pay- then there's the hassle of getting FVF refunded.

Message 6 of 13
Latest reply

Child made purchase

Imagine if you worked in a supermarket. At the checkout there are always lots of items that the mum (or wife) didn't't put in the trolley. EBay needs a shopping cart so the items remain available for sale until the buyer goes to checkout. Then sellers can request immediate payment.
Message 7 of 13
Latest reply

Child made purchase

Cazjnack, your story is priceless :^O
Message 8 of 13
Latest reply

Child made purchase

the joys of children

Buyer won item and now claims 6 year old child made the purchase.

Have asked the buyer to request mutual cancellation of the sale but I am a little annoyed to be honest about the whole thing.

Sorry just wanted to vent

check your buyers bidding history and see if they have been bidding on similiar items to the one the child has *supposedly* bid on and won!
This will determine if the buyer is telling the truth or not (in most cases)
Personally, I wouldnt allow a mutual cancellation.... I would open an Unpaid Item Dispute.

********* *********** *********** ************ ************ *********** ***********
Be Kind To Nurses....
They Stop The Doctors From Killing You.
Message 9 of 13
Latest reply

Child made purchase

crighton 3m child?!!! as the others say pets are pretty impulsive ebay buyers too.  with the apps now on iphones I can see how easy it would be for a child who can actally hold a phone to press the minimum bid, when you think they're playing angry birds ...

seriously I guess it depends how much the item is worth as for mutual cancellation / whether to open unpaid item dispute. 

like all of us I get many unpaying bueyrs - a dispute usually goes unreplied to and you have to wait for it to end, unpaid item strikes seem to do nothing really (they might affect your dashboard).  how many do you need these days b4 your out?

for me it comes down to attitude.  if the buyer is pleasant and seems honest I try to help them out, and you sometimes / often find they may return to buy again (and pay!).

Message 10 of 13
Latest reply