Contacting ebay CEO regarding false item as faulty claim?

Hi, I have a buyer <Removed>  that has stated a dress was faulty, even tho her own photos CLEARLY show that her bust is too big to fit in the dress. She has stretched the life out of the dress to fit over her body! 

Ebay uk have refunded her and will not allow me to appeal the case. I have reported her for false use of the buyer protection program and also contacted acorn and the uk financial ombudsman about ebay's policies so waiting to her back to see if I can start a case for both her and ebay.

But wondering what other sellers have done to get heard? I now have a dress that she has stretched and ruined that I cannot sell, and I have paid over $50 for postage and had to refund her the cost of the dress. This buyer owns a children's dance business in the uk and I am appalled that someone that works with children could be this dishonest and fraudulent 😞

Is there a ceo in usa that I could contact?

Message 1 of 9
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

I don't think the CEO of eBay is going to take your call in the USA over a minor eBay issue.

But if you write then there is the CEO at headoffice in San Jose.

As you have found out the eBay MBG is highly tilted in favour of the buyer.

Part of selling on eBay.

You could perhaps revert to not selling to overseas if it was International. (I noticed UK in a link)

image host

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 9
Latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Here are some of the ebay customer help replies, just to amuse everyone on how hopeless their "customer service" really is 

02:39:34 UTC Charmaine
I can see here that the listing for this item is complete with measurements.
02:39:56 UTC Charmaine
And also that you listed this item with no returns accepted.
02:40:22 UTC Charmaine
So in this case, if ever the buyer will file a return dispute, you have the option to decline it.
02:41:46 UTC Charmaine
You don't really need to worry about it because as I can see here you did the right thing listing the item with complete details, and shipping the item on time, and we do appreciate you for doing such.

**This is untrue, there is no option to decline a return when selling on ebay uk site even if we are from australia

Once the item is successfully delivered, you will have to refund the buyer within 2 business days. If the buyer fails to return the item within the stipulated time, the case will be closed without having to issue refund to buyer.

Finally, I’m sure you’re aware, but I would like to remind you of your right to appeal if the case does not end in your favour. If, by any chance, the item was returned but was definitely not in the condition that your buyer had claimed, we will acknowledge your appeal.

Regardless, I request you not to process any refund to the buyer unless you receive the item back in the same condition as it was earlier. Please make sure and not refund the buyer until you receive the item back with you.

If you think a buyer is not following our policies, please report it to us. We take all reports seriously and will carry out a thorough investigation before taking appropriate action However, due to privacy concerns we are not at liberty share the details taken on the buyers accounts. The actions we may take against buyers who don't follow eBay policies vary depending on the severity of the situation.

Report a buyer:

https://spd.ebay.co.uk/RBASellerHub

Misuse of the eBay Money Back Guarantee:

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/resolving-buyer-issues/reporting-issue-buyer?id=4084&query=1569&st...

You are important to us and I will make sure that you are taken care of. At eBay we would like to pay our gratitude for the honesty and the professionalism that you have showcased for handling this issue.

I believe the information I provided about return request is helpful. I appreciate your patience and understanding in this matter.

Kind Regards,

DeepJyoti B.

eBay Customer Support

**Once again false, after accepting the return, they wouldn't allow me to appeal, even tho DeepJyoti B. has in writing told me I could!

12:28:02 UTC Anand
Let me share process here.
12:30:20 UTC Anand
Try to communicate with buyer and resolve the issue mutually. If you do not get the mutual closure then you can get back us. Once you will get back to us then we will close the case in buyer's favour and will refund them. Once the case will closed by us then within 24 hours you will get the option to appeal the case from your side.
12:31:28 UTC Anand
Once you will appeal, we will look for the further investigation and proof to take the appeal decision. If the appeal will grant in your favour then you are entitled to get the funds of the transaction which eBay will reimburse to you.

**Not true, they do this so you refund the buyer then refuse the appeal!!!**

Message 2 of 9
Latest reply

I don't think the CEO of eBay is going to take your call in the USA over a minor eBay issue.

Part of selling on eBay.

You could perhaps revert to not selling to overseas if it was International. (I noticed UK in a link)

image host
Message 3 of 9
Latest reply

Once you accept the return, you have accepted the return. Of course you can't then change your mind and refuse the return. The trick is to not accept the return in the first place. Notwithstanding that, if the buyer claims not as described, you will be forced to accept a return, or cop a defect and still have to refund the buyer.

I'm sure you can find out who the CEO of eBay is. You might even be able to glean some sort of contact details. I don't see the point - eBay are far more on the side of buyers and no CEO is going to waste their valuable (according to the amount of money they get paid) time on what is effectively a trivial matter.

I would wait for the replies you get from the UK Ombudsman. Acorn won't respond, nor are they likely to refer the matter to the UK police or Interpol.

You got the dress back. That limits your loss, legally. It also limits any criminal liability on the buyer's part. Unless of course, you have proof of her bust size vis a vis the dress (provided the listing clearly stated relevant measurements), and/or proof that she deliberately damaged it.

Message 4 of 9
Latest reply

@kopenhagen5 wrote:

Part of selling on eBay.

thanks for the info, I'll search for the postal address to send a letter too them

Message 5 of 9
Latest reply

@davewil1964 wrote:

Once you accept the return, you have accepted the return. Of course you can't then change your mind and refuse the return. The trick is to not accept the return in the first place. Notwithstanding that, if the buyer claims not as described, you will be forced to accept a return, or cop a defect and still have to refund the buyer.

I'm sure you can find out who the CEO of eBay is. You might even be able to glean some sort of contact details. I don't see the point - eBay are far more on the side of buyers and no CEO is going to waste their valuable (according to the amount of money they get paid) time on what is effectively a trivial matter.

I would wait for the replies you get from the UK Ombudsman. Acorn won't respond, nor are they likely to refer the matter to the UK police or Interpol.

You got the dress back. That limits your loss, legally. It also limits any criminal liability on the buyer's part. Unless of course, you have proof of her bust size vis a vis the dress (provided the listing clearly stated relevant measurements), and/or proof that she deliberately damaged it.

Hi, I was told I had to accept the return by ebay customer support! Then they advised if dress is not as buyer advised to not refund her. I have posted what I have incorrectly been told by various ebay customer support workers? Acorn have responded I'm just waiting to hear what I need to do next, but thanks for your reply!

Message 6 of 9
Latest reply

*puts on flak jacket*

I don't agree with you having to suck it up because Dolly Parton bought Twiggy's dress ! I would at

least TRY contacting my bank and doing a chargeback re the unauthorised refund to that buyer. Can't

hurt to TRY.

Message 7 of 9
Latest reply

haha omg!

no it's not fair is it!! but ebay allows this to happen, anyone can see she is too big for the dress. I don't know how this is even allowed to happen, but here I am!! Everyone I show this picture too just laughs. I think it shows how strong the Jaase elastic is to withstand this amount of stretch!! Maybe I could use this as a selling point haha! 🙂

@foxette-in-sox wrote:

*puts on flak jacket*

I don't agree with you having to suck it up because Dolly Parton bought Twiggy's dress ! I would at

least TRY contacting my bank and doing a chargeback re the unauthorised refund to that buyer. Can't

hurt to TRY.

Message 8 of 9
Latest reply

This is a classic case of a bust-up.

@kenzie_tenzie, you mention that your buyer is in the UK. As I understand it, the UK policies apply. It's clearly stated in the eBay UK MBG that ❝Not covered: Buyer's remorse or any reason other than not receiving an item or receiving an item that isn’t as described in the listing (see the seller's return policy for returns options)❞

You should get eBay to phone you. Doing the eBay email dance benefits no one, especially you. eBay's "Have us call you" option is by far the best way to get in touch with eBay. (Emails are useless, for a number of reasons, but primarily because the responses, when they are finally sent, are bot-generated.)

eBay say: We'll call you at the phone number registered to your account, or you can enter a different number.

We’re available from 8am to 10pm AET, 7 days a week.

Explain very politely that you were advised to give a refund and then to appeal. (For the record, NEVER take that advice. You do not have to refund in cases where the buyer has a change of mind, and that includes item not fitting, as long as you included the correct measurement/sizing information in your listing.)

Explain very politely that the item returned is in a condition that precludes it from being sold, as the buyer has stretched it beyond repair.

Explain very politely that you consider this to be fraudulent.

Note down all the details about the call. Then phone PayPal, and go through the same story - again, note all the details.

Unless you receive satisfaction in the course of these polite discussions, open a case with AFCA.

But... I'll say it again... for the future, don't ever follow the advice given in an email or over the phone or over chat, by a CS rep, if that advice conflicts with eBay policies and your rights under those policies.

Message 9 of 9
Latest reply