Could you please tell me why ebay is taking a percentage from the postage

Message 1 of 23
Latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

Re: Could you please tell me why ebay is taking a percentage from the postage

I have 'free' postage on my small items that fit into a padded bag under 20mm because the postage is usually only $1.40 to send. Larger items that go by parcel, I charge postage. Initially I had everything as free postage, including the parcels and had incorporated the postage cost into the start price of my parcel auctions. None of my parcel sized auctions sold at the higher price with free postage. Not one. So, I reduced the price and added the postage cost back into the listing and they started to sell. I guess that means the buyer isn't stupid. Either that, or they just saw the start price and knew the item wasn't worth that, without looking at the postage cost, which at that stage was $0 to them. Or, they knew if they bought more than one, they'd be paying a big whack in what was included postage.

Message 11 of 23
Latest reply

If you don't believe greed has nothing to do with it, then just look at how many millions of dollars profit they post. Yes shareholders get a decent whack, but there are still millions left over. They are not destitute and should not charge a fee for a service they don't provide. It is simple greed.

Message 12 of 23
Latest reply

And the money goes off-shore to tax-free or tax-minimized havens.

Message 13 of 23
Latest reply

GREED JUST PURE EBAY GREED , SOMEONE OR A CLASS ACTION OF US SHOULD TAKE THIS TO THE ACCC, BET IF EBAY WERE CHARGING THEIR BUYERS A % FEE ON THE POSTAGE THERE WOULD BE A RIOT , BUT THEN AGAIN EBAY BUYERS ARE SEEN AS THE BE ALL END ALL TO EBAY AND SELLERS ARE JUST **bleep**, THATS THE WAY EBAY SEES IT , THEY WILL LEARN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Message 14 of 23
Latest reply

I still don't get full marks for postage fees I charge although I still charge less for postage than it cost me. By EBAY charging extra on postage just rips into my profits. I don't believe in offering free postage - no such thing. I get charged so I have to pass the charges on. Calling it it free postage is FALSE advertising. It should be postage included price. I sell many low cost items EBAY try to pressure us into offering Free Postage. If I was to do this I would go broke very quickly as Min postage cost to me is over $8.00. If i include it in the price then the buyer wouldn't be able to afford to buy it. Therefore I Am punished by EBAY for not offering a premium service. I feel that What I offer is much Fairer & EBAY still win no matter how you look at it. They still don't pay TAX in AUSTRALIA .

Message 15 of 23
Latest reply

@badbundybear wrote:

GREED JUST PURE EBAY GREED , SOMEONE OR A CLASS ACTION OF US SHOULD TAKE THIS TO THE ACCC, BET IF EBAY WERE CHARGING THEIR BUYERS A % FEE ON THE POSTAGE THERE WOULD BE A RIOT , BUT THEN AGAIN EBAY BUYERS ARE SEEN AS THE BE ALL END ALL TO EBAY AND SELLERS ARE JUST **bleep**, THATS THE WAY EBAY SEES IT , THEY WILL LEARN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Any number of members took this this to the ACCC....the answer was that ebay was doing nothing wrong.

What makes you think that this is not affecting buyers?  Any seller that is running their business properly is passing the fees on to the buyers.   If you are not then more fool you.

Do you see buyers coming to the boards in droves and moaning about the new fees?

Message 16 of 23
Latest reply

@frithysrural wrote:

They still don't pay TAX in AUSTRALIA .

And what overseas companies do pay tax in Australia?

Why single out ebay?

Message 17 of 23
Latest reply

Hi There, Thank for your comment at the end of the day were the losers & ebay the winner Regards, Lily4407
Message 18 of 23
Latest reply

Hi There Just asking the question Regards, Lily4407
Message 19 of 23
Latest reply

Who is singling out EBAY . I think all offshore owned business acting in Australia should be paying more TAXES . Then there might be more support for Australian Business.

Message 20 of 23
Latest reply