Covid-19 shut-down in Victoria - buyers just don't get it...

There's no real solution to this one, just need to vent...

So, our business has been deemed non-essential, and we're in lock-down until late September. My employer instructed me to put our store in "holiday mode" and extend handling times to six weeks, rather then end all our active listings. I'd rather have just ended them, but was over-ruled.

And thus does our tale of woe begin...

People are still buying. But, many are clearly not paying any attention to the "Seller is away until.." notice that appears on every item. I'm being beset by "Why hasn't my item been sent?" messages, along with cancellation requests from those who have bought and paid for an item, then read the "Seller is away..." notice.

And there's even been a couple of rugged individualists who have said that they need the item straight away, and are willing to come and pick it up - these ones are actually in Victoria. Y'know, the state where most places are shut, and people aren't allowed to travel more than 5km from their home, etc.

It's horrifying. People just aren't taking any notice at all. I can't believe that people are a) genuinely unaware that Victorian businesses are in a state of lock-down, and b) that people in Victoria itself are so willing to violate the regualtions in order to get (as in the most recent case) a man-cave item that's anything but essential - and that they actually expect me to co-operate with them!

My employer (who, surprise, lives in Sydney) won't end the listings as she doesn't want to miss six weeks worth of sales, but the grief we're getting far outweighs any monetary gain...

Rant over - until the next time I check our messages...

Message 1 of 19
Latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

Check the buyers forum. There's a numpty there that is outraged that their express deliveries aren't arriving overnight. Like really? People like that don't think anything applies to them. While the whole country is in lockdown, they expect everything to be running as per normal for them. That particular buyer has very questionable feedback left for others. Even since the pandemic, they still moan and whinge about how long something is taking to arrive.

I posted 2 items to Victoria Wednesday last week, from rural NSW. One arrived today, the other is still in Sydney according to tracking.

Sadly, you can't fix stupid. You can sedate it, but you can't fix it. Remember, the rules don't apply to these idiots.

Message 2 of 19
Latest reply

Yeah I'm with you, taking a huge toll getting abused 7-10 times a day when you have 0 control over the postal service. We took 90% of our listings down for the time being.

Also OP you do realize you are allowed to process orders even if non essential goods? you just need a permit.
Message 3 of 19
Latest reply

I notice a few commenting about abuse re postage.   A trick I have been using on my sales is to email the buyer and message them straight away after sale.   And highlight that a) there are hold up in the post system at this time.  B) highlight our handing time is not effected and we will get package to auspost on time but what happens after is out of our control.   And c) tells our buyers to refer to auspost covid update page for regular update on the postage system and attaches the link to that page.    We are yet to get a complant re postage from ebay buyers or any buyer we deal with from other sources.  Be pro active and NOT reactive when it comes to cust service.  

@danieh_6 wrote:
Yeah I'm with you, taking a huge toll getting abused 7-10 times a day when you have 0 control over the postal service. We took 90% of our listings down for the time being.

Also OP you do realize you are allowed to process orders even if non essential goods? you just need a permit.

Message 4 of 19
Latest reply

@performance_parts_clearance_centre wrote:

My employer (who, surprise, lives in Sydney) won't end the listings as she doesn't want to miss six weeks worth of sales, but the grief we're getting far outweighs any monetary gain...

blink

Has she considered she could miss out on a lifetime of sales if the next six weeks are not handled appropriately?

That aside, other sellers in Vic have been talking about restrictions elsewhere, and most were saying you can operate online and post, or get the packages picked up, but I suppose it could depend on where the work takes place. 

Message 5 of 19
Latest reply

@digital*ghost wrote:

That aside, other sellers in Vic have been talking about restrictions elsewhere, and most were saying you can operate online and post, or get the packages picked up, but I suppose it could depend on where the work takes place. 

No - we operate out of a warehouse in our manufacturing facility, which is strictly in shut-down. No lawyering our way out of it - we can't set foot in there...

Message 6 of 19
Latest reply

@danieh_6 wrote:

No - we're not allowed in the building. Full-stop, "end of"... 
Message 7 of 19
Latest reply

Dammit, I was due to buy some more of your gloves - I guess I'd better go easy on the ones I've got.  true.gif

I hope this lockdown doesn't last too much longer for you guys in Victoria. original.gif

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 8 of 19
Latest reply

@silver-fox-bullion wrote:

I notice a few commenting about abuse re postage.   A trick I have been using on my sales is to email the buyer and message them straight away after sale.   And highlight that a) there are hold up in the post system at this time.  B) highlight our handing time is not effected and we will get package to auspost on time but what happens after is out of our control.   And c) tells our buyers to refer to auspost covid update page for regular update on the postage system and attaches the link to that page.    We are yet to get a complant re postage from ebay buyers or any buyer we deal with from other sources.  Be pro active and NOT reactive when it comes to cust service.  

Exactly this.  Managing expectations with a couple of sentences warning of possible delays goes a long way to warding off complaints I have found. Save it somewhere to copy/paste in and it only takes a few seconds.

NEVERMIND ON TROUBLES!!! LET'S DO HOBBY!!!
Message 9 of 19
Latest reply

Has nothing to do with this, a small amount of people live under a rock and assume cause they got 1 thing on time all will arrive on time. Or "Postage is essential there are no delays" You can be the nicest person and most apologetic but some still dont understand we have no control over postage.

Message 10 of 19
Latest reply