Covid - long delays and people now opening disputes for refunds - with tracking

cremo1
Community Member

So I have sold many many items to USA since April 2nd - making sure the buyers understand in the ad before they actually bid there are massive delays due to limited flights to USA..

Strangely many sold in May have been delivered, some from as early as 8th April Aussis Post tracking says

Cleared and awaiting international departure

MELBOURNE VIC

Most buyers are understanding - most.. but 1 flog who I have given the tracking info to which shows it is on its way

This persons items tracking shows

Post Office - on the 27th April

8th May - Cleared and awaiting international departure

MELBOURNE VIC

I've sent the tracking number, and screen shots showing other parcels are delayed, inc their tracking numbers for him to check himself that I'm not scamming him even the bloke who I sent his item 8th April understands there are delays, but for some reason this ONE bloke doesnt.

He has now submitted a dispute for refund... This is a $500 item - If it was $5 I wouldnt worry

So everything I read says ebay will side with the buyers - wish I'd have read that first.. So he ends up with refund + the item.

What are my options? Bend over? Down a grand? Dont deal with Ebay again?

Thoughts?

Message 1 of 22
Latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

sadly there are those buyers who do exactly that

Message 11 of 22
Latest reply

@cremo1 wrote:

Went to Post office again today with tracking number, I may as well have asked the Gum Tree in the front yard.... - is there a more pathetic backwards system than teh Aussie Post 1974 tracking system... its so backwards, pathetic and lacking in detail.

Video posting things?? I'd never bother sending anything. This is my first and last time selling more than 1 or 2 items on ebay,

So you posted an eBay item off to an international destination in the middle of an unprecedented global pandemic and are now treating that as a typical experience, despite claiming it's your first sale, is that right? If that seems logical to you, I won't try to convince you otherwise.

NEVERMIND ON TROUBLES!!! LET'S DO HOBBY!!!
Message 12 of 22
Latest reply

@cremo1 wrote:

So I have sold many many items to USA since April 2nd - making sure the buyers understand in the ad before they actually bid there are massive delays due to limited flights to USA..

Strangely many sold in May have been delivered, some from as early as 8th April Aussis Post tracking says

Cleared and awaiting international departure

MELBOURNE VIC

Most buyers are understanding - most.. but 1 flog who I have given the tracking info to which shows it is on its way

This persons items tracking shows

Post Office - on the 27th April

8th May - Cleared and awaiting international departure

MELBOURNE VIC

I've sent the tracking number, and screen shots showing other parcels are delayed, inc their tracking numbers for him to check himself that I'm not scamming him even the bloke who I sent his item 8th April understands there are delays, but for some reason this ONE bloke doesnt.

He has now submitted a dispute for refund... This is a $500 item - If it was $5 I wouldnt worry

So everything I read says ebay will side with the buyers - wish I'd have read that first.. So he ends up with refund + the item.

What are my options? Bend over? Down a grand? Dont deal with Ebay again?

Thoughts?

Australia Post advise that international items mailed between 25th of March and 30th of April face extended delays. ( see link and quote in green below ) I suspect that what happened is that at the height of the crisis, no international mail moved for an extended period and mail simply built up in a storage warehouse somewhere. Since then Australia Post has been challenged by the exponential increase in online sales and is having trouble handling this, plus the extra items built up in storage.

https://auspost.com.au/about-us/news-media/important-updates/coronavirus/coronavirus-international-u...

For items sent between 25th March and 30th April, additional delivery delays on top of the below have occurred. We are working hard to process all items on hand and deliver them as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience.

What can you do ? Either accept that you are going to face considerable, expensive item not received cases from international clients and just wear the expense, or cease selling to international clients until more normal mail services are resumed. Personally I have chosen the second option and ceased offering international mail. My sales are down around 20% - 25% as a result, but I,m sleeping quite well.

Message 13 of 22
Latest reply

On eBay's Money Back Guarantee help page, you would have read the following:

❝Information required to prove a successful delivery is all of the following:

• Tracking number from an integrated carrier - opens in new window or tab which was uploaded to eBay before the estimated delivery date;
  • A delivery status of "delivered" (or equivalent in the country to which the item was delivered);
  • The date of delivery;
  • The recipient's address, showing at least the city/suburb or postcode (or international equivalent) that matches the address in the eBay order details; and
  • Signature confirmation, if an item has a total cost of $750 or more.

(Rubrication mine.)

You said that you sent this $500 item by Standard International Post.

You also mentioned more money than $500, though...

@cremo1 wrote:

[...] Im more concerned in being down $800-1000...

[...]

Did you pay for Signature on Delivery as an extra?

No one here disagrees with you that the ETA is ridiculous. Something that might help is your getting in touch with eBay CS via Chat

Because eBay phone support is down at present (due to the COVID-19 pandemic), your only option to contact eBay via chat support.

Link is at the bottom of the Help page.

🗪 Chat with us
            We're available from 8am to 8pm AET
            Monday to Friday, and 9am to 7pm AET
            Saturday and Sunday.

You'll have to explain very clearly that you are worried that the buyer has been able to open a refund request, with this expensive item clearly on its way. Ask that the MBG case be placed on hold since the ETA was not realistic, given Australia Post's information about the delivery delays.

Ask to chat with a supervisor (if one is available) if the chat support person cannot help or gives you a placebo reply along the lines of "don't worry".

You can quote from eBay's MBG:

❝Delivery timeframes

Due to increased demand and new restrictions implemented to reduce the spread of COVID-19, items may take longer to reach you. We may place eBay Money Back Guarantee cases on hold to allow additional time for delivery.

Returns
To help buyers and sellers process returns during this time, we've temporarily extended our returns timelines and adjusted our eBay Money Back Guarantee policy. Buyers now have 21 business days from when a return is accepted or when a label is provided to send their items back. Our COVID-19 update page has more information.

For sellers, this change means that once tracking shows that the item has been successfully returned, you now have 5 business days to inspect the item and issue a refund. See our Seller Centre for more details.

We've automatically applied these changes so there's no requirement for buyers or sellers to do anything.❞

Good luck, and please post back here with any updates. At the very least, they would be useful for other eBay members who might encounter similar difficulties. (Other posters may also have other suggestions to offer.)

Message 14 of 22
Latest reply

I'm also in a similar situation having sent a lot of orders through to Europe in late March through to April before Australia Post announced they would now be shipping all those orders by sea now. Which by their estimation on top of the usual delays, will be an additional 2-3 months! I already lost a claim for an item sent mid March, and have gotten more INR requests flooding in which I'll end up losing unless I can get Ebay customer support to help with the estimated dates.

I'll be on customer support to let them know and see if they can do anything about this. Will post back on any updates.

Message 15 of 22
Latest reply

I just got off with customer support. In a nutshell they tell me that if the package is delayed past the due date and the buyer files for INR because there's no movement pr updates in tracking for at least 14 days, they will side with the buyer and close the case in their favour. But when the item is shown as delivered in tracking after the case is closed, you should be able to appeal the case and ebay should reimburse the funds to you. 

At least that's what I got. I have the transcript in case I need to quote the rep. I already lost one case and plan to appeal that once the item is shown as delivered. I suspect I'll be doing a lot more of that in the near future.

Message 16 of 22
Latest reply

Join the club!!

We sent an item worth $200 to USA on 18th April and on 13th May buyer opened INR claim.  Responded with proof pof postage, tracking info and that AusPost advise a delivery time to USA of 5-7 weeks.

Buyer insists itme must be "lost"

On 26th May eBay closed the case in the buyers favour and debited our PayPal account.

The lack of patience and understanding by some eBay buyers makes you really question their moral values.

Message 17 of 22
Latest reply

Keep an eye on the tracking, A number of sellers have reported reversed refunds after a "lost" item has eventually shown up on tracking as delivered. But you might have to nag at eBay a few times before they listen to you.

NEVERMIND ON TROUBLES!!! LET'S DO HOBBY!!!
Message 18 of 22
Latest reply

I remember a post mentioning this also and there also may have been a time mentioned that you if the parcel arrives.

Message 19 of 22
Latest reply

I stopped selling internationally so long ago I can't even remember, years ago. But with the money back guarantee and sellers having to pay return postage for claims, I take my hat off to anyone gutsy enough to take that risk

Add in the current situation and you have balls of steel lol

Message 20 of 22
Latest reply