Current rules about using "does Not Apply" in Catalog Field

I have some new items to list that do noy have UPC numbers.  Can I still use "does not apply" ??  Tried searching for an answer on eBay release notes without success.

Ta

Message 1 of 9
Latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

As far as I know, yes. (Everything I list is either handmade or generic, so they don't have UPCs at all, and I'm able to select that for each item - not 100% sure about all categories, though). 

Message 2 of 9
Latest reply

In the music category (I sell CDs), the rule is to enter UPC's for new items (not used...yet). But the older pressings do not have barcodes etc. I am using does not apply in these instances assuming all is OK but I thought they were removing this as an option??. If so I have no clue what we are supposed to enter in its place.

Message 3 of 9
Latest reply

@jfmgray

Some sellers of music, etc., will use product codes or SKUs, generated by them, specific to them. Perhaps you can set up your inventory to include SKUs that you can use in the eBay catalogue...

Message 4 of 9
Latest reply

@jfmgraywrote:

In the music category (I sell CDs), the rule is to enter UPC's for new items (not used...yet). But the older pressings do not have barcodes etc. I am using does not apply in these instances assuming all is OK but I thought they were removing this as an option??. If so I have no clue what we are supposed to enter in its place.

The only info I ever saw with regards to items that didn't have barcodes was that eBay was going to handle them in one of two ways - either they'd assign a code themselves, or the seller could create and assign one (the latter option was meant to be for sellers who list own-brand items, like I do, so I have been waiting well over a year for that to actually become an option. They used to mention it in the seller updates, then they stopped, so I really don't know what is happening there).

I don't know what's happening with the eBay assigned codes, either - they called them ePIDs, and first mentioned them in 2016, but none of my items have been assigned ePIDs, that I can see. Around the same time, they also said that they'll accept other types of product identifiers, like ASINs (these are the product codes assigned to items when listed on the "A" site, and Google product identifiers, so if you can find either of those for the items, it might be worth giving them a go. 

Message 5 of 9
Latest reply

I've been waiting for them to bring in ePIDs too, or should I say hoping it never gets to that point.  It might work for some people but not for others.

I've read that anything with a brand needs a UPC number so I leave the brands out of my item specifics and just put it in the description.  I don't know whether having the brand would make a difference (in item specifics) but I'll play it safe as long as I can.  When the day comes that I can't list without it, I'm out of here. I won't be the only one from my category who has no way of finding MPNs or UPCs or any other number.

Message 6 of 9
Latest reply

my understanding is that if the category requires a product identifier and you select "does not apply" in the UPC field and it won't let you list the item, you can add an option in the "MPN" field which is usually under the item descriptors / options and this can either be a part number or can be user-generated. this should then allow you to list it. 

Message 7 of 9
Latest reply

Just had two sales for the new items where I entered "does not apply" in the UPC field so this must still be allowed for the moment.

Message 8 of 9
Latest reply

All our stuff is designed & handmade by us.
We use "Does not apply" for everything and have been doing so for some years now.
Message 9 of 9
Latest reply