Customs Value??

I've not had to deal with something like this before, so I need some good advice.

It's a low value item and we've been asked to strip a further 20% off its value for customs.

How do others respond to such a request please?

Many thanks,

Melina.

Message 1 of 6
Latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Customs Value??

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

Don't do it Melina.

It is an offence and if you are caught you could be in real trouble.

Some countries have very low thresholds for imported goods and buyers will often try to get the seller to declare the goods at a value that will enable the items to be imported tax free.

Among other things, if you underdeclare the value and you need to make a claim you will only get the value that you declared.

Message 2 of 6
Latest reply

Customs Value??

Many thanks Lyndal. I was thinking along those lines, but it's good to have inexperienced thinking supported by the experienced.

Issue solved straight away. Thanks again.

Melina.

Message 3 of 6
Latest reply

Customs Value??

I consider anyone asking me to not declare true values a crook and as far as I am concerned they can pay full value and be added to my special list.

So they want the rest of us to pay for their cheats, NO way.

image host
Message 4 of 6
Latest reply

Customs Value??

I tell people that my packages are lodged via a business account and must be marked as merchandise (if they've asked for it to be marked as a gift), and that the value needs to be marked at actual amount for insurance purposes.

It's not exactly true for most packages I send, but the easiest way to say no.

Message 5 of 6
Latest reply

Customs Value??

I did a bit of reading last night. Doing this can have far reaching consequences. Dumbo here was not aware of most of it. You're right Kopes. They're affectvely making me a party to their offence, and then more so, I too become a principal offender myself. And, I must assume, they know the position they place me in, or any seller, when they ask.

So, I'm pretty cranky now.

thanks everyone.

Melina.

Message 6 of 6
Latest reply