Defects - do you block buyer

What are you sellers doing with buyers who have given you great feedback, but get a defect for item not subscribed.

Or any other defect. Do I block them or what. I have one.  

I am now not worrying about buyers not leaving feedback, as we won't get defects from them.

If defects keep up with buyers, us small sellers may all be history. 

Message 1 of 19
Latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

Yep. Simply block them.

'Defects' seem to be a buyers 'mood' - rather than an honest critique of a sale.

You can do without the 'moody' ones.

Message 2 of 19
Latest reply

Dunno about the Blocking Helen, but agree with "the Mood" part. I wish buyers would communicate & ask questions about the item, rather than expecting what their ideas are. I personally don't think some buyers read properly.  I'm always open for questions etc if the buyers have any queries. 

Message 3 of 19
Latest reply

IMO the way ebay blocks buyers from leaving neg/neutral feedback for 7 days - which was supposed to protect sellers from hasty moody fb somewhat - should also extend to defects.  Let the buyer reflect for awhile before doing something nasty, they might not choose to go ahead after all.

Message 4 of 19
Latest reply

I dunno OP

I imagine that most defects that appear now on sellers dashboards are actually 3's left by buyers, that were happy enough with their purchase not to leave a neutral or negative and not to open a not as described case, but just not ecstatic enough with a transaction to give a 4 or a 5. I imagine this is consistent with 99.9% of purchases people make world wide off eBay, some purchases are just satisfactory and don't need to exceed your expections, they are just ... another purchase. 

IMO most buyers would still be absolutely clueless that if they leave feedback and mark a DSR as 3 they have caused the seller a defect through their ignorant bliss and eBays DEFECTIVE defect system.

Message 5 of 19
Latest reply

Golly, if you start blocking  for defects you will have no repeat customers . I dont know about you but I never give a perfect score for anything. I dont believe anyone or any survey attracts the perfect 10 ( so to speak) . If defects are incurred for not saying the seller is PERFECT well thats wrong. Defects should be out of 10....If a score goes 5 or under that should be a defect  ( I STILL HATE THAT INAPPROPRIATE WORD) The seller really should be looking at what they are doing wrong then.

If eBay must have a defect system thay should consider human nature as not being so giving with the accolades and make it fairer for the seller.

Message 6 of 19
Latest reply

@lou*sbloomin*garden* wrote:

I dont know about you but I never give a perfect score for anything. 

I always leave 5's across the board, on the basis that if I leave less than 5, it means the seller could have done better, but if they decribed the item honestly and accurately and posted withing their stated time frame, how much better can I expect them to do?

To answer the question... It's 50-50 Actually, it's more like 66-33 (give or take) as I've blocked 2 out of 3 buyes who've given a transaction a defect. If a buyer is ignorant of the effect a low DSR has on a seller, it means they have the potential to cause me harm with their ignorance. I like preventative measures above all else, particularly when defects pretty much can't be cured. Since I can't contact buyers about the DSRs they leave, I either have to choose to allow them the potential to do it again, or not.

I had a defect pop up the other day, and after I ran the report and saw the buyer that left it, I checked my BBL and their name was already on there....only I don't remember putting it there, at all. I checked for any messages between us, and whether I ever had to open a UPI against them, but nope. So I either have completely wiped blocking them (and why) from my memory (one and only transaction was in July, so it doesn't seem likely), or they were auto-BBL-ed due to the defect, which also doesn't seem likely, so I dunno what's up with that.

Message 7 of 19
Latest reply

Yes, I would (and in fact, have) blocked buyers who left low DSR without contacting me first.

Of course, there is a risk that you might have a few less sales in the future, however, if the same eBayer kept buying off you regularly and regularly left low DSR, you'd soon find that you have more than 5% defects, and would probably be thrown off the site.

Looking at it from that point of view, one or two less sales in the future is much better than having your account suspended for the ignorancee of others when rating a transaction.

By the way, on a separate topic, isn't high time that eBay adjusted the pop up of "Why weren't you satisfied with the item description?" so that it comes up when a buyer hits not only 1 or 2, but 3 stars too?

Message 8 of 19
Latest reply

So your saying that a 4 can result in a low DSR......?
Message 9 of 19
Latest reply

Leaving a 3 then leaving glowing feedback deserves a buyer to be blocked. But how do you know if they left a 3 and not a 4 ...?
Leaving a 4 isn't so bad....surely
Message 10 of 19
Latest reply