Delivery costs

sjchaps
Community Member

Are sellers permitted to apply any delivery cost to items?

Are massive delivery cost outside the ebay guidelines or is it simply a buyer beware situation?

Steve c

Message 1 of 58
Latest reply
57 REPLIES 57

Delivery costs

I would say as with buying anything,on any website buyer beware, and if such costs are displayed up front ,if a buyer belives it is an unreasonable charge, don't buy

As for eBay 

It depends on what kind of delivery charge we are talking about ?

Is it on a pick up item that says the seller will deliver themselves to the seller for an extra charge?

Or an item which has COD as a delivery method ?

Or something else?

And it depends how massive massive is

If it is something entirely obscene, I would not give the seller a second look and go elsewhere 

Message 2 of 58
Latest reply

Delivery costs

Yes sellers can charge whatever they like but ebay has put a 10% fee for postage a while ago now to stop sellers from over inflating the postage prices but to me I think that just doesn't really work as looking around I still notice some sellers still charge way over the top for postage so it's buyer beware really.

And as bear said you just move on if you think the postage is way to much,I know I do.

Message 3 of 58
Latest reply

Delivery costs

sjchaps
Community Member

Thanks for your comments.

Here a bit more info on this one.

As advertised a glass fuse 12V 150mA price $10.04 Delivery from the US to Australia $459.88.

At first my thought was it has to be a typo so should I contact the seller to let him know?

A quick search of the store showed 5 to 10% of the hundreds of articles had similar delivery costs, massive.

I'm aware sellers delivery charges are now part of the calculation for ebay charges but the outcome of that change means when someone does make the mistake of not checking the delivery costs E bay gets a 10% cut.

Add to that in this case when your $469.92 fuse arrives in Australia it draws 10% GTS.

Preferred payment method was Paypal, I wonder why???

Where is the incentive for ebay to stop this deceptive behaviour?

Am I right in thinking because you it does not actually break the Ebay rules a buyer can not actually complain or attempt to prevent this happening to someone else?

That's certainly the way it appears to me after looking through the "Report Listing", there's no way to report such indiscretions.

Even negative feedback appears to be non existent, why.

Steve c

Message 4 of 58
Latest reply

Delivery costs

think they are dreaming

One possible thought, maybe they don't actually have them in stock as they claim to and they think by putting something ridiculous for postage that nobody will buy it (which will backfire, if the buyer does not read how much postage is and buys anyway)

(In no way defend it, just saying what *some* sellers might do to avoid out of stock defects/ cancelling listings

Or maybe they are just out and out dodgey 

Message 5 of 58
Latest reply

Delivery costs

I have a feeling that seller doesn't post to AU therefor has the postage so high as to stop you from attempting to buy from them.

Some sellers inflate their prices to stop you from buying from them because they either don't have the item in stock or don't ship overseas.

Message 6 of 58
Latest reply

Delivery costs

Beat me to it lol your post never showed when I started typing with my 2 finger professional typist way haha

Message 7 of 58
Latest reply

Delivery costs

5-10% of items doesn't necessarily mean it's deliberate. They could have made a mistake on one listing then copied it over to subsequent listings without realising. If they are using postage profiles they only need to make the mistake once since it automatically applies to all listings under that profile, and they wouldn't even see any postage costs when they list, just the profile name.

Better to ask first, then shoot.
Message 8 of 58
Latest reply

Delivery costs

Maybe they are using the global shipping program, which often charges like a wounded bull.

Given the amount of packaging a single fuse would require to travel the world it wouldn't necessarily be a tiny package.

Message 9 of 58
Latest reply

Delivery costs

The fuse in question is 30mm long and 6mm in diameter and would easily fit into a standard envelope with bouble wrap.

By the way the same fuse is $1.00 at the 12 volt shop.

Steve c

Message 10 of 58
Latest reply