Do I need an abn number to start an eBay store

Hi,I am going to upgrade to an eBay store starting in the new financial year it will be my primary income but I don't plan on going over $75000 gross sales do I still need to get an abn number for tax purposes?

Message 1 of 31
Latest reply
30 REPLIES 30

No, and there is no point until you do hit $75k in turnover.

That's turnover, not sales. Including postage, fees, etc.

Message 2 of 31
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

If you turnover $75,000 in a rolling 12 month period you need an ABN and you need to register for GST.

Message 3 of 31
Latest reply

Speak to an accountant.

If you plan on running a business, rather than selling off things around the home, you will probably need an ABN.

If you go over the $75,000 you will also need to register for GST, as lyndal mentioned.
Message 4 of 31
Latest reply

To add, work out the numbers as a store roughly becomes viable if you are listing 100-200 items with a good sell rate.

Otherwise your 40 freebies a month might be enough.

image host
Message 5 of 31
Latest reply

Yes, you should get an ABN to delare all ebay income.

From memory, ebay reports all income to ATO for sellers grossing more than $5k in annual sales. So better stay on the safe side and declare all income if you go above this threshold.

Message 6 of 31
Latest reply

Having an ABN has nothing to do with declaring income....you can sell as much as you like up to $75000 turnover without an ABN.  You only HAVE to get an ABN if you need to register for the GST.

The last time the threshold amount was announced it was $10000 before ebay needed to declare sellers turnover to the ATO.

Message 7 of 31
Latest reply

Found this link at ATO website, mentions $12000 as the threshold in the last 3 years.

https://www.ato.gov.au/General/Gen/Online-selling-2015-16,-2016-17-and-2017-18-financial-years-data-...

Message 8 of 31
Latest reply

So ebay has been notifying the ATO of seller's income based on the lower amount of $1000.

It should not make any difference if sellers are doing the right thing and declaring all their ebay income as they should be doing.

Message 9 of 31
Latest reply

I do plan on declaring it all next year just need to know if an abn is required to do so

Message 10 of 31
Latest reply