Do you have to accept Paypal when selling?

Just a question, im wanting to bid on something from another seller, but she isnt accepting paypal, and says it a few times in caps in the listing - will not accept paypal only DD - i messaged her and said i want what shes selling but will only pay paypal, for security reasons (as she has a neg feedback for selling a phone for just under a grand and not sending) and she got back to me and abused me and said she will block me from bidding, she spoke to ebay and said she doesnt wanna use paypal and they said ok (her words) so question is...do you HAVE to accept paypal?

Message 1 of 13
Latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

If she is offering paymate or merchant CC then no she does not have to accept paypal.

BUT if she has paypal as a payment option then yes she does have to accept it and ebay would not tell her it is ok to not accept it if not offering one of the other 2 options.

I would not even bother with sellers like that as it screams scam.

Message 2 of 13
Latest reply

yes, she has to accept PP, but she also can block you, which she most likely already did.  If you did not confront her you could try to pay with PP and insist that she takes it.  What you can do now is to click on the report button on the listing and report her for "misleading or discouraging payment method"  - anyway that what eBay calls it now.

Post here the title of the item, so we can look at her listing - no number or ID just exact, copy and paste the title.

000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Voltaire: โ€œThose Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocitiesโ€ .
Message 3 of 13
Latest reply

If they offer it they're supposed to accept it. There is no way eBay told them it's okay not to accept Paypal if they offer it. If they don't offer it they have to offer (and accept) another 'safe' method - Paymate or merchant credit card.

All you can do is report them to eBay and Paypal. Paypal take a dim view of people who advertise their service and don't accept it.

You could pay by Paypal, then when they don't send or refund you can report them for seller non-performance (which does nothing apparently) and leave a neg. if you don't pay the seller can open a case against you and no feedback will be allowed. Don't accept a mutual cancellation request either. They will send you one to try to get their sale fees back.

Unfortunately there is no way you can force them to send the item, and if you're on their BBL you won't be able to buy anything else from them.

Message 4 of 13
Latest reply

Sorry, I misread your post. I thought you had already won the item. Ignore the second half of my post.

Message 5 of 13
Latest reply

She said she wont accept credit cards, only pick up or bank deposit. i think i might steer clear of it. i work at the store she said she bought the swimmers from and they arent ours, and we've never had swimmers that were priced at $189 lol. i told her so, but said i was still interested in them, and she abused me and said i have to pay bank deposit if i pay paypal she wont send them. urgh ?:|

plus size swimmers togs size 24 / 26

Message 6 of 13
Latest reply

There is 2 things they can be reported for

not accepting paypal

and

she said she has tried them on so they are NOT new and used swim wear is not allowed to be listed.

Message 7 of 13
Latest reply

i didnt even notice that lol but thanks everyone for the comments, much appreciated ๐Ÿ™‚

Message 8 of 13
Latest reply

boomct
Community Member

Yes, I'd definitely steer clear of this one . . . especially if you we're abused for asking a legitimate question.   No good seller would be so rude to a potential customer clarifying something like this! 

Will you be reporting her?  And if so, add her to blocked bidders just in case of retaliation.   (Seems paranoid but I've read such scenarios here before).  

Message 9 of 13
Latest reply

You say she accepts BD and cash on pick up, is this a pick up item?

If it is then she is right to discourage the use of Paypal but should have done it in a more circumspect way. As a buyer that is the last payment method you would want to use!

If it is not pick up and she is offering Paypal then she has to either accept it or risk neg feedback and trashed DSRs.

Personally I would be happy if she blocked me just in case I inadvertently tried to bid on one of her items in the future not realising who the seller was;-)

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 10 of 13
Latest reply