Does Ebay Australia have a layby system like Ebay US

I personally find that Ebay US offers a lot more options to help assist store holders to sell their items such as the Bill Me Later option.

I sell clothes and as you know, in most retail stores offer a lay-by option.

The store might give the buyer 6 to 8 weeks to pay it off and advises how much they need to pay each week.

Do you know if an option or of a way here in Australia, that we can offer our customers a lay-by plan. This way store holders can assist the buyer and work together by coming up with the best payment option. Also this way the buyer can have their items and the seller will have a sale.

Ebay have advised one of the reasons why Australia does not have the Bill Me Later option is due to the laws and regulations.

I'm not too sure what law and regulations Ebay are referring to as Australia has lay-by's in most retail stores.

Your comments and suggestions on this topic would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you ๐Ÿ™‚

Message 1 of 9
Latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

I've had people buy stuff and pay in instalments. Its something the buyer would have to trust the seller with though, because it would need to be done by bank deposit or paypal instalments. If buyers dont pay for items in a single transaction they lose their seller protection.

Theres nothing stopping you from offering it as an option on your listings. You would have to handle the logistics/problems of it yourself though.

photo screen-1-1-1-1.jpg
Message 2 of 9
Latest reply

Thank you for your comments Punch*Drunk,

Just wondering if you found that having the Lay-By option really helps you with sales.

Do you find having the Lay-By option generates more enquiries?

I'll definitely do some more research around this option prior to adding it to my listings.

Thanks again ๐Ÿ™‚

Message 3 of 9
Latest reply

I once had a lady purchase a huge amount of books from me.  And we had an agreement that she would pay in instalments before I posted them to her.

It was a very good result and one that I would definitley enter into again. 

Will be interested in any results you come find.

Linda

Message 4 of 9
Latest reply

Cant say its really helped, its not something I offer, but something people have asked for occasionally.

I used to sell scrapbooking stuff, it was those customers that used it. What I sell now is spare parts for pool equipment, items that people only buy when they actually need them, so its not something that would be of any use to me now.

photo screen-1-1-1-1.jpg
Message 5 of 9
Latest reply

I have done my largest, multiple sales via mini-layby, with buyers making deposit at time of purchase and then a final payment two or three weeks later. :-x:-x

Not sure if offering layby in your listings generates sales ?:| My buyers all approached me, to see if they could have payment arrangement.

Message 6 of 9
Latest reply

I definitely recommend promoting and incorporating layby into the listings. Layby is a big part of our business both on line and B&M.                 Just make sure that if you go that way, you get a reasonable deposit up front, say 20% of item value - that way you know they are serious.  A lot of the laybys go over the time limit, so be prepared for that too, but I can only remember two laybys never paid out over many many years of provision.  One layby was only recently paid off after 14 months, which was supposed to be for 4!  But it was a higher ticket item, and well worth it. Good luck:-)

Message 7 of 9
Latest reply

For the store holders that offer Lay-by do you ask the customer to sign a Lay-by contract.

I have been doing some research since posting & I think it maybe a legal requirement for each party to sign the lay-by agreement to ensure that each party agrees with the terms and conditions of the contract.

Just wondering what other stores do.

Did you have a Lawyer look over the contract first before implementing it, or do you just have a template in which you can configure on each unique Lay-by contract, (depending on what each party has agreed to).

Message 8 of 9
Latest reply

i recon! we should have the same and would have much more business. ๐Ÿ™‚
Message 9 of 9
Latest reply