Does anyone else feel it is unethical that ebay encourages the seller to put in free shipping

sandi8310
Community Member

I am having an ethical issue whe ebay encourages sellers to incorporate the postage/shippling fee in the price of an item and use the excuse that people will buy if it is shipping free. It is not freee yet ebay takes their 9.99% of shipping and for the product. Why do they weant to take the shipping fee. Surely tehy should only take their fee from the product and as an honest seller tell the buyer the fee for the product and seperate the shipping fee out and ebay keep their hands off that.

Maybe I am over reacting but I certainly did not feel right including the postage and ticking free postage so I stopped that on my products.

Message 1 of 17
Latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Does anyone else feel it is unethical that ebay encourages the seller to put in free shipping

They take fvf fee on the shipping whichever way a seller lists, free post or post extra. So that point is not relevent apart from the fact that it is unethical to take a fee either way.. They are only prossesing a payment.. Which really is paypals department. so you are being charge a fund sprocessing fee by each of them.

-------------------------------

ASSUMPTION IS THE MOTHER OF ALL STUFF UPS!!
Message 2 of 17
Latest reply

This has been discussed here by many unhappy sellers countless times since its introduction last year and it is indeed unethical and not fair on sellers.

It had apparently been in place for a year or two on the US eBay site before it was put into place here.

The way around it for a seller is to simply increase your postage charges since we're now giving away a portion of it directly ro eBay.  Bad luck for the buyer!

I assume it was so that eBay would not lose out when a greedy seller had high postage charges or when an honest seller adjusts it to meet an additional agreed requirement from a buyer (eg. a customised item).

For example, I am often asked to customise my poster prints for car enthusiasts and I add the fee on to the invoice in the postage.

Message 3 of 17
Latest reply

I dont like the way its promoted as free post. But it suits me fine to list one price and not split it up into components that a buyer can't opt out of anyway.

difficulty in combined post discount with "free post" method is a flaw.

-------------------------------

ASSUMPTION IS THE MOTHER OF ALL STUFF UPS!!
Message 4 of 17
Latest reply

@lane-ends wrote:

They take fvf fee on the shipping whichever way a seller lists, free post or post extra. So that point is not relevent apart from the fact that it is unethical to take a fee either way.. They are only prossesing a payment.. Which really is paypals department. so you are being charge a fund sprocessing fee by each of them.

Except that postage is (or at least, can be) a variable component, therefore so can the FVF, and the difference can be quite signififcant. (I know prices can be too, but they are currently nowhere near as flexible as P&H is on eBay). 

If, for arguments sake, I included the cost of P&H in my prices, and my sales miraculously remained the same, eBay would nab around 5 x the amount of FVF on P&H than they do now, because at least half my orders have several items and I use a fixed, flat rate. I'd make more money, too (presuming that not only did my sales volume and value remain the same, but so did the number or multiple-item purchases), so the buyer is the one that would pay more for nothing in particular, other than improving bottom lines. (Obviously I'm just applying this to how I would need to implement it, i.e. 'postage included' - the free post model is perfectly suitable for a lot of businesses, but quite the opposite for others, especially now with FVF being charged on it). 

Message 5 of 17
Latest reply

@sandi8310 wrote:

I am having an ethical issue whe ebay encourages sellers to incorporate the postage/shippling fee in the price of an item and use the excuse that people will buy if it is shipping free. It is not freee yet ebay takes their 9.99% of shipping and for the product. Why do they weant to take the shipping fee. Surely tehy should only take their fee from the product and as an honest seller tell the buyer the fee for the product and seperate the shipping fee out and ebay keep their hands off that.

Maybe I am over reacting but I certainly did not feel right including the postage and ticking free postage so I stopped that on my products.

I certainly feel it is one more way that sellers can get stung! This is potentially going to happen to me in the next few days; listed an item as free shipping because I was in 'lights off' mode and getting bombarded with eBay telling me to improve my chances with 'fast and free'!!1 Now I find myself with an item that looks like it will be returned to me having not been collected from the LPO after awaiting collection, leading me to have to refund the full price, including the $25-30 shipping fee!!! Absolutely scandalous!!!

Message 6 of 17
Latest reply

I only offer 'free' postage on large letter items. Parcel items have paid postage. I sell just as many parcel items as I do large letter items. I have a 5 day handling time, so nothing qualifies for fast and free and I have been doing pretty well when others have had their lights off.

As for the eBay suggestions tp increase sales, I found the best thing to do with those emails is ignore/delete them. I started doing that when they kept telling me to add item specifics. Most of the listings they were suggesting  have 6 - 8 item specifics, so I don't see how I can add anymore. 

Message 7 of 17
Latest reply

Yes. And as you say they encourage it as well. It is the seller who decides to use it though. It would be good for the chinese sellers as it is basically free anyway.

I think all that free post on listings is basically redundant anyway now. I don't think they could impliment it properly as it didn;t seem to change sell rates. The only thing it did change is now the customer has to pay the "free" post multiple times, lol.

It reminds me of an email I got from a customer about a year ago that purchased an item with free post and another with post seperate. It went like, as this item is free post can you send the other item with that. No way man thats free.

Message 8 of 17
Latest reply

very clever  the buyer asking for the other item to go with the free parcel  lol

Message 9 of 17
Latest reply

@i-love-my-sheep wrote:

I only offer 'free' postage on large letter items. Parcel items have paid postage. I sell just as many parcel items as I do large letter items. I have a 5 day handling time, so nothing qualifies for fast and free and I have been doing pretty well when others have had their lights off.

As for the eBay suggestions tp increase sales, I found the best thing to do with those emails is ignore/delete them. I started doing that when they kept telling me to add item specifics. Most of the listings they were suggesting  have 6 - 8 item specifics, so I don't see how I can add anymore. 

Yes, once bitten twice shy......already changed all my listings back to paid postage! I will ignore it all from now on.

Message 10 of 17
Latest reply