Does anyone else think we as sellers should be able to rate buyers - if they don't pay no negative

It doesn't happen often, but always with an expensive item that I have sold, and not always with a new member.  Some of the older members are doing this too.  They buy an item, don't pay on time and then disregard any messages sent to sort the matter out.  All you can do is lodge a complaint in the Resolution Centre which amounts to nothing if they still don't pay.  I would like to see a range of options to grade the buyers in their feedback who do this and that should sort out the non payers.  Such a waste of time with these types of people.

What do you think?

Message 1 of 17
Latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Does anyone else think we as sellers should be able to rate buyers - if they don't pay no negative

It does amount to something.

They get a strike for each unpaid case closed against a buyer.

Then 2 or more strikes thy cannot buy or bid from sellers with blocks.

Have you set your blocks on your account ?

Leaving feedback for buyers does nothing.

They can have hundreds of negs and still buy or bid in last minute, so that's useless.

At least with blocks it stops non payers from doing it again.

image host
Message 2 of 17
Latest reply

Yes, they get a strike (or multiple strikes) if they don't pay.

However, it's the buyers who pay after a case has been opened, quite often in the last 12 hours, who we would like to be able to leave appropriate feedback for.

They don't get a strike, but sometimes cause sellers (especially new or occasional sellers) angst and time spent chasing them up.

A grading system of some kind, similar to seller's stars, isn't a bad idea for this type of buyer.
Message 3 of 17
Latest reply

Many sellers allow 7 days to pay so opening and closing a case is 8 days.

Do you have a pay period mentioned in your listings ?

I have changed mine from 7 days to 5 days.

So if I open a case at 5 days and they pay 3-4 days later that's still within acceptable as far as I m concerned.

Some buyers bid on items and forget so the unpaid case can act as a reminder.

Some wait for the next payday after winning an auction.

eBay don't stipulate a time frame for buyers to pay so it ends up in the seller's hands to clearly state terms in listings.

image host
Message 4 of 17
Latest reply

No need to waste your time chasing up slow/non payers.

Just set your account to open a dispute automatically.....if they pay before it closes all is god.

If they don't pay they get a strike......and you have not wasted one second of your time.

Message 5 of 17
Latest reply

@kopenhagen5

No, we don't state a time frame.  We're reasonably easy going and agree that each buyer's situation is individual.  Some of our regular buyers "browse" over a period of a couple of weeks, then request an invoice.

We use unpaid item cases as a last resort, when all other avenues of contact with the buyer have failed.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

@lyndal1838

That's not the way we want to go.  We're retired, so time is something we're not short of, but it does concern other sellers.

As many of our buyers buy multiple lots, sometimes over a period of a couple of weeks, we prefer to choose when/if to open a case for each on an individual basis.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

The buyers we are mainly referring to are those that will not pay until the last of a case, no matter when you open it.

In the early days we had one buyer who would buy multiple items, then hold on to their money until the last minute.  They always paid, buy waited until a case was opened,then paid on the last day.

It didn't matter how many invoices or messages we sent, the only way to have them pay was to open a case.

That was fine as, once we knew about it, we just opened a case as soon as we could.  It was the not knowing that caused us worry.

And yes, we could have blocked them, but being new sellers we took every sale we could.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

In as situation like that, some kind of rating system, maybe "so many resolved unpaid item cases in 12 months" or something similar, could give sellers an idea of what type of buyer they were dealing with, and allow them to make an informed decision as to their actions.

Message 6 of 17
Latest reply

I think that sellers should be able to leave negative feedback for buyers who refuse to pay for their item or will not reply to your messages regarding this matter.  It takes up so much extra time chasing them and they just get away with it.  There should be an option to warn other sellers like there is to warn buyers against a selling problem.

Message 7 of 17
Latest reply

No, I don't think sellers should be able to leave negative feedback for non payers. Purely for the reason, it doesn't stop them buying. Please explain to us how you could stop a buyer from buying that has negative feedback, before they have bought? Answer, you can't. The ONLY time it could be of benefit was if you ran auctions and someone bid early. A check of feedback, and a bid can be cancelled. Other than that, it's pointless. 

They could have 1,000 negative feedback and yet they can still purchase any of your items. The only purpose it would serve would be a feeling of very short term satisfaction that you were able to do it. It can't warn any sellers, because you don't know in advance who is going to hit the buyer button. Once they've hit the buy button, it's too late.

You say they are getting away with it. Are you not opening up non payer disputes to get your fees back? Once the dispute is closed, the buyer gets a non payment strike. You can't see it, they can't see it, but it's there for 12 months. 

Do you have buyer requirement blocks set up, so that a buyer with 2 or more non payer strikes in the last 12 months can't buy from you? If you don't, then you should. Buyers are not getting away with it, because if they attempt to bid or buy from a seller with blocks, they can't.

As all your listings are BIN, why not have immediate payment required set. That would rule out any non payments.

Don't be tempted to leave a false positive comment as it can get you into trouble. It is also useless because if we checked your feedback, only you can see the buyers name. All we can see is something like s***l (14).

And as I just did check your feedback, you've left a false positive. You do realise that doing that could get you booted off eBay for good? I am also wondering who we are to beware of?

Message 8 of 17
Latest reply

Answered fairly comprehensively in your post yesterday.

https://community.ebay.com.au/t5/Community-Feedback/Does-anyone-else-think-we-as-sellers-should-be-a...

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 9 of 17
Latest reply

Set your blocks and have IPR. It eliminates all non payers. Simples.

image host
Message 10 of 17
Latest reply