Does anyone have a solution regarding postal insurance for high value pieces of jewellery

meg3341
Community Member

Hi-I'm struggling to find a postage method that offers insurance above $5000 for some high value pieces of jewellery.  Just wondering if anyone has found a solution for this.

Message 1 of 11
Latest reply
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Does anyone have a solution regarding postal insurance for high value pieces of jewellery

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

Australia Post offers extra cover up to $5000 and I doubt you will find anyone offering much higher.

StarTrack (owned by AP) does offer higher, but they do not deal with one off parcels....you need an account with then,

You could try some other courier companies but from years of experience most of them do their best to wriggle out of paying out on a claim.

You may be able to find an insurance company that will give you some sort of policy to cover the shipping of jewellery.....have you tried any?

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 11
Latest reply

Or try a customs agent.

They will either organise shipping for you or can probably refer you to someone for Insurance only.

image host

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 11
Latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

Australia Post offers extra cover up to $5000 and I doubt you will find anyone offering much higher.

StarTrack (owned by AP) does offer higher, but they do not deal with one off parcels....you need an account with then,

You could try some other courier companies but from years of experience most of them do their best to wriggle out of paying out on a claim.

You may be able to find an insurance company that will give you some sort of policy to cover the shipping of jewellery.....have you tried any?

Message 2 of 11
Latest reply

Or try a customs agent.

They will either organise shipping for you or can probably refer you to someone for Insurance only.

image host
Message 3 of 11
Latest reply

imastawka
Honored Contributor

Just to be off topic (cos I do that) the valuation says it's both a sapphire and an emerald.

I don't believe this to be a true valuation.  It doesn't say if it's a natural or created emerald

for a start.  And why does it mention that it's a sapphire?

This item is ripe for scammers IMO

Message 4 of 11
Latest reply

I agree Stawks.....I would not have much faith in the Valuation when the valuer cannot even identify the stones properly.

Message 5 of 11
Latest reply

Hi,

thanks for your reply.  No, I haven't yet checked with an insurance company about postal insurance, but that will be my next move.

Kind regards,

Meg

Message 6 of 11
Latest reply

Hi,

thank you - I will give that a try.

Kind regards,

Meg

Message 7 of 11
Latest reply

Hi,

valuation refers to white sapphires alongside diamonds.

Valuation is not suspect in any way.

Regards,

Meg

Message 8 of 11
Latest reply

that's probably the case for someone who has a lot of experience in dealing with jewellery, but to your average buyer or scammer, they could make a meal out of this for INAD. hopefully that's not the case :]

Message 9 of 11
Latest reply

You may find that it would be cheaper than insurance  to fly the visit the buyer and deliver in person.  You would also have peace of mind the transactions has been closed properly

Message 10 of 11
Latest reply