Does anyone know with the new eBay managed payments scheme if Australian sellers require an abn?.

Hello fellow eBay sellers can anyone tell me with regards to the new managed payment scheme whether we require an Australian government ABN to sell further?. I do not have an eBay store and would like some clarification on this, I did submit a chat with eBay customer service and was told that I did not have to register to continue selling at this stage yet I received an eBay notification in my message inbox today to register as soon as possible to continue. Can my fellow eBay small sellers clarify this for me.

Message 1 of 9
Latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Does anyone know with the new eBay managed payments scheme if Australian sellers require an abn?.

imastawka
Honored Contributor

No idea, but have a read here -

https://sellercentre.ebay.com.au/managed-payments

Message 2 of 9
Latest reply

Be aware that once you sign up for it, there are certain items you can no longer list on eBay.

image host
Message 3 of 9
Latest reply

gec2002
Community Member

eBay are intially activating business accounts for Managed Payments,  these require you to verify your Business which is done with an ABN.  At a later date casual and non business sellers will be activated and requirements won't require an ABN but you will not be registered as a business seller.

---------------------------------------------------
Profanity is no substitute for wit.
Message 4 of 9
Latest reply

@kingmate7 wrote:

Hello fellow eBay sellers can anyone tell me with regards to the new managed payment scheme whether we require an Australian government ABN to sell further?. I do not have an eBay store and would like some clarification on this, I did submit a chat with eBay customer service and was told that I did not have to register to continue selling at this stage yet I received an eBay notification in my message inbox today to register as soon as possible to continue. Can my fellow eBay small sellers clarify this for me.

I have registered - they give you two options, one is to register as a sole trader, with no ABN required, and the other is to register as a company, with an ABN or ACN required.

I received an email this morning advising I'll be switched over on July 20th, so I'm guessing that will be when they are wanting to move the majority of people who got the notice or invitation to register in the first round so they may be wanting you to register by then.

Message 5 of 9
Latest reply

@digital*ghost wrote:

@kingmate7 wrote:

I have registered - they give you two options, one is to register as a sole trader, with no ABN required, and the other is to register as a company, with an ABN or ACN required.

I received an email this morning advising I'll be switched over on July 20th, so I'm guessing that will be when they are wanting to move the majority of people who got the notice or invitation to register in the first round so they may be wanting you to register by then.

For sole traders, they don't require an ABN/ACN, but they do require a current passport, drivers licence or visa.

Message 6 of 9
Latest reply

Thanks Joztamps that's handy information to know, cheers from David.

Message 7 of 9
Latest reply

Thanks gec2002 that's a great help, cheers from David.
Message 8 of 9
Latest reply

Thanks digital ghost and everyone else that has been kind enough to answer my question about this subject on this thread it's all been really helpful, cheers from David (Kingmate7).
Message 9 of 9
Latest reply