Dontcha just love paypal?

Found the below advertisment on my home page this morning. Reading between the lines, I believe that I can just make indiscriminate purchases, until July - and if I don't like what I've thoughtlessly bought, I can get 100% of my outlay back.

Yes, it's only up to 4 items, but multiply 4 by at least  2,000,000 buyers worldwide - that's going to be a lot of claims!

Yes, I know there's also the MBG, but this ad just drives home the fact that buyers need exercise no caution at all with their buying habits! And drives home the point that as sellers, we're all incompetent - or dodgy!

1661779_688276686813017033.jpg

Message 1 of 28
Latest reply
27 REPLIES 27

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

Did you read the small print....there is a cap of $45 per refund request.

A lot of the little darlings will be expecting refunds of the full amounts.  I predict a flurry of complaints on the boards when reality sinks in.

Message 2 of 28
Latest reply

where have you been Curmu, this was anounced weeks ago. It only until July 2015 and if I'm not mistaken the buyer also had to register for it to be able to claim.

Message 3 of 28
Latest reply

@harley_babes_hoard wrote:

where have you been Curmu, this was anounced weeks ago. It only until July 2015 and if I'm not mistaken the buyer also had to register for it to be able to claim.

So? Just how many buyers do you think ebay has, worldwide,  each month - and how many of them will take advantage of the opportunity to buy at a whim - knowing that they can get 100% back?

Whether one needs to register or not is irrelevant - what I'm angry with, is the blatant promotion of indiscriminate buying!

It's just a potentially harmful exercise, and promotes carelessness in buyers - something we, as sellers, actively try to DIScourage.

Message 4 of 28
Latest reply

@lyndal1838 wrote:

Did you read the small print....there is a cap of $45 per refund request.

A lot of the little darlings will be expecting refunds of the full amounts.  I predict a flurry of complaints on the boards when reality sinks in.

I'm just so glad that I'm not a bulk seller of small-ticket items!

Ebay & paypal seem to be striving to both attract buyers at all costs, and shed itself of the smaller sellers - the ones who drove ebay's marketplace profile!

Message 5 of 28
Latest reply

This allows all buyers to buy and never read the decription, then if it happens to be anything other than what they imagined it would be - money back. Good for buyers, but once again sellers are screwed.

Message 6 of 28
Latest reply

did you actually read all the conditions???

They still have to comply with sellers own return policies. It not as bad as it would seem.

Message 7 of 28
Latest reply

@curmu-curmu wrote:
Whether one needs to register or not is irrelevant - what I'm angry with, is the blatant promotion of indiscriminate buying!

It's just a potentially harmful exercise, and promotes carelessness in buyers - something we, as sellers, actively try to DIScourage.

I agree with you 100%. I look at that ad, then at the number of defects I've received that are associated with "not as big as I thought" type feedback comments (about items for which I provide accurate measurements plus pictures with coins for scale), and just despair. 😞

Message 8 of 28
Latest reply

the refund is only for the return shipping costs, not the purchase
Message 9 of 28
Latest reply

Curmu-curmu, I have read all the conditions and it won't be a free-for-all...at the worst a gentle flurry 😉

The return shipping, as mentioned in earlier posts, is capped and limited to four returns.

Also, the refunds are issued after a request is sent to PayPal with appropriate proof.

If a buyer is wise, they will limit any claims to items that really matter, or they will just run out of refunds. As a buyer it will not have me rushing to return on a whim.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buttercup: You mock my pain! Man in Black: Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something.
Message 10 of 28
Latest reply