Ebay accused of failing its sellers........

This article is about 7 months old and I don't know that much has changed?

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2017/may/21/ebay-accused-failing-sellers-buyers-manipulate-system-...

Message 1 of 17
Latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Well, we haven't been here long, but sadly I have to say that so much in that article has a resounding ring of truth to it.

I hope the Guardian follows up at some time in the future to see whether or not 'the promise' made by eBay has been honoured. And, then goes to press with the results, which I pre-empt will be in the negative.

Our own experience after being away for many years has been very disappointing at best. It's sad too that institutions like eBay survive only because they have such an enormous monopoly. I won't always be that way. The Piper always gets paid!

Melina.

Message 2 of 17
Latest reply

Hmmm!! No participation. I have a bad feeling I've made yet another boo boo 😞

If I have, could someone please tell me.

i wish I didn't fret so.

Melina.

Message 3 of 17
Latest reply

@thebossesaccount wrote:

This article is about 7 months old and I don't know that much has changed?

No nothing much has changed, buyers are still treated like gold and seller's are still being screwed to the wall, and unless eBay changes the MBG and Paypal reduces the 180 day claim window, nothing will change.

Add to that the crazy fixation eBay has on supposed off-eBay sales, serial scammers operating with impunity..........etc etc.......

Don't stress Melina, I think because members know that eBay uses blinkers and has it's head in the sand most of the time, they realise they're floggin' a dead horse by commenting.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 4 of 17
Latest reply

Merry Xmas Padi.

Don't get me started on this topic lol

Message 5 of 17
Latest reply

And a Happy New Year to ya kooka.................when eBay will fix all their problems permanently..........ROFL

Message 6 of 17
Latest reply

Merry Xmas and happy new year to you Padi from beautiful downtown Greenbushes 🙂

The only time ebay will be glitch and problem free is when they close the site ! 

Message 7 of 17
Latest reply

Pretty darn fine here in Bridgie as well mate, strange kinda weather though !!!!

By the way, lots of favorable comments by friends about your herbs and spices.

"close the site" sheesh, how will they give us all the wonderful "improvements" to "enhance our buying and selling experience" if that happens ???        true.gif

Message 8 of 17
Latest reply

It is good it has been exposed in this but I do not think it is going to change anything. What eBay really needs is a kick from sellers.. I guess if a lot of sellers hide their items for just 24 hours it should tell eBay in lost sales and fees that any trade needs at least two parties(a seller and a buyer). If they like buyers so much and keep treating sellers with no respect there may be a situation when sellers start leaving and there will be nothing for eBay buyers to buy.

We are used to give strikes to bad buyers may be it is time to give a strike to bad eBay.

Decoroo - Custom made wooden products
Message 9 of 17
Latest reply

@ozstockman wrote:

It is good it has been exposed in this but I do not think it is going to change anything. What eBay really needs is a kick from sellers.. I guess if a lot of sellers hide their items for just 24 hours it should tell eBay in lost sales and fees that any trade needs at least two parties(a seller and a buyer). If they like buyers so much and keep treating sellers with no respect there may be a situation when sellers start leaving and there will be nothing for eBay buyers to buy.

The problem is, eBay doesn't really need to compete for sellers. Most sites worth selling on don't, because the majority of sellers will always follow buyers, not the other way around. Buyers will go wherever they can get what they need and/or want, how many other buyers or sellers are there, or how successful the site or business is, is 100% irrelevant to that choice, and these days they are spoilt for choice - sellers who need third-party sites with organic traffic, not so much. 

eBay's policies are designed to compete for buyers, and I suspect they have deemed (on behalf of themselves and sellers) that the rewards outweigh the risks. I believe their approach is that they would rather have 100 scamming buyers get their way, than risk one genuine buyer being let down by their seller or the MBG policies. It's a typically American approach to justice, in that sense. 

I don't support their approach, by the way, especially because they half-a$$ it on both sides, I'm just saying the underlying principle is understandable to me. I definitely think there are better and more fair ways many of these situations could be dealt with, and as it stands now, it doesn't even guarantee a buyer with a genuine problem will have that problem successfully resolved, which often defeats the purpose of their actions in the first place. What the site really needs is fewer algorithms and less automated decision making, and more staff trained in making impartial, fact and evidence based decisions.  Feels like a pipe dream at this point in time, though. Smiley Frustrated

Message 10 of 17
Latest reply