Ebay hit me with a final value fee of the wrong item

A buyer wanted to do local pickup for the Neumann TLM 103 microphone, so we exchanged phone numbers to do it. Ebay hit me with a violation for exchanging phone numbers through messages, but it was for the wrong item

The item I was selling with the buyer was the Neumann TLM 103, but ebay hit me for the Prism Sound Atlas Audio Interface

The problem is the Neumann TLM 103 cost 950 bucks, and the Atlas cost 4800. So instead of paying the 100, ebay is now making me pay 400

I have attached all the screenshots of the message Ebay said I screwed up on, and the flow of the conversation between me and the buyer. It clearly was all referring to the Neumann TLM 103

Yet when I contacted customer support, they just ignored all of that and keep maintaining they're charging me for the correct item

I am happy to be hit for screwing up with exchanging numbers and pay the final value fee of the neumann, but ebay making their own mistake and pinning me with it is just silly

The funny thing is, it was under the Super Sunday $1 final value fee promotion, so ebay would've received a buck if I did it the way they want. 

Message 1 of 8
Latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Ouch!!!

Keep calling them. ebay changes their mind from phone call to phone call.

Message 2 of 8
Latest reply

please do not post the personal identifying information of both yourself and the member that contacted you.  It is against posting policy here on the boards.  If you had obscured the personal stuff with coloured rectangles there wouldn’t be a problem. 

As it is I would imagine the image will be removed from your post as it contains the mobile phone number of some other member.

Do they know you have posted that info on a public forum?  If it was me, I’d be seething if someone divulged my mobile number on a public forum.

Message 3 of 8
Latest reply

MY MISTAKE, SORRY.

You have not given the mobile phone number of another member in that image, I now see that it was your mobile number (still not allowed).

BUT, you have included the full name of the member who messaged you (in the message about finding him on Facebook).  This is not allowed on these boards.

My apologies, my post should have looked like it is below (with strike through text removed).

k1ooo-slr-sales wrote:

please do not post the personal identifying information of both yourself and the member that contacted you.  It is against posting policy here on the boards.  If you had obscured the personal stuff with coloured rectangles there wouldn’t be a problem. 

As it is I would imagine the image will be removed from your post as it contains the mobile phone number of some other member.

Do they know you have posted that info on a public forum?  If it was me, I’d be seething if someone divulged my mobile number on a public forum.

Message 4 of 8
Latest reply

@audiojunksales wrote:

The item I was selling with the buyer was the Neumann TLM 103, but ebay hit me for the Prism Sound Atlas Audio Interface

The problem is the Neumann TLM 103 cost 950 bucks, and the Atlas cost 4800. So instead of paying the 100, ebay is now making me pay 400

If this is true and you can prove it, I would be doing everything I could to call as much media attention to the issue as possible.

I personally thought the policy to charge people FVF on items they suspected were sold off ebay was questionable at best, but to charge it on a more expensive item when there is no evidence to suggest that item was sold off ebay is outrageous. 

Message 5 of 8
Latest reply

Did you happen to change the listing  to the more expensive item instead of ending the original? if that is the case and you have used the same item number, they will hit you with the fvf for that listing number, they don't care about the title and what the actual item was...

Message 6 of 8
Latest reply

Have you asked to speak to a supervisor at ebay?

Message 7 of 8
Latest reply

If they don't do anything about it then raise a formal complaint with the Department of Fair Trading (DFT) in NSW as thats where ebay are based in AU. Click on the link below to go to their site.

Fair Trading

Present all your evidence and that should make them sit up and take a bit more notice.

Message 8 of 8
Latest reply