Ebay is withholding my money

Ebay is refusing to give me my money. Since forcing me to be 'payment managed' through them instead of Paypal, they are demanding my photo identification. My ebay account has had an excellent rating since 2008.  I have provided all of my sensitive information to them except my actual photo. This is not enough for them. They want it all. Enough for any identity theft to be very easy if the opportunity presents. It is bad enough that they withhold our payments from sales for 30 days (resulting in us having to pay our own expenses for postage to buyers) but now they are refusing to give me my money completely! They have also barred my account so I can no longer sell anything. This has made me feel so sick I will no longer be purchasing from Ebay either. Where in Australia can we get LEGAL ASSISTANCE to help us get OUR money that EBAY is withholding? 

Message 1 of 12
Latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

You can't get legal assistance on this matter - this is Ebay's playground and you agreed to the Terms and Conditions when you signed up. 

Use your passport instead of a DL as this is a better option.

Adyen, who are the replacement for PP, are regulated by the govt, so they have to comply with anti-money laundering laws, hence the request for ID.

There are a million topics in the forums on this matter for you to read through, but at the end of the day you will need to either comply or move elsewhere. Ebay is not the only platform to enforce the ID requirement - Amazon and Etsy do it as well and are even more strict as you have to do it before you can even open an account with them.

Message 2 of 12
Latest reply

How can I get my money back from EBAY that they are withholding illegally? $222 . .....I never had a passport. These big companies are going after the wrong people. Money laundering from a small average like me? They have more information about is than anyone.  

Message 3 of 12
Latest reply

@thatretrogirl wrote:

Ebay is refusing to give me my money. Since forcing me to be 'payment managed' through them instead of Paypal, they are demanding my photo identification. My ebay account has had an excellent rating since 2008.  I have provided all of my sensitive information to them except my actual photo. This is not enough for them. They want it all. Enough for any identity theft to be very easy if the opportunity presents. It is bad enough that they withhold our payments from sales for 30 days (resulting in us having to pay our own expenses for postage to buyers) but now they are refusing to give me my money completely! They have also barred my account so I can no longer sell anything. This has made me feel so sick I will no longer be purchasing from Ebay either. Where in Australia can we get LEGAL ASSISTANCE to help us get OUR money that EBAY is withholding? 

I have made bold the points in your post that I have chosen to reply to (sorry in advance for the long post).

My ebay account has had an excellent rating since 2008

This means nothing.  It’s not about you.  I’m not being disrespectful or flippant, but until MP eBay were just a platform for selling.  They didn’t have anything to do with payments and the movement of money as covered/defined in financial regulation legislation, including Anti-Money Laundering (AML) obligations/legislation (as pointed out by jellybirddesigns). They are now involved in the financial aspect and now need to adhere to the relevant legislation, especially with regards to having those who use their site for selling having to establish their identity.  Want to blame someone . . . blame the politicians!

They want it all

They really have no choice.  It is a case of comply or stop having Aussie sellers use their business . . . and only allow Aussies to buy from overseas using another site for payment of purchases i.e. PayPal.

they withhold our payments from sales for 30 days

Not sure what this is about.  Under Managed payments you can choose when you get funds from your sales.  Many have chosen the ‘2 day’ option, I have chosen the ‘every Tuesday’ option.  Certainly not anything near 30 days.

You may have to pay postage up front, but you will get the money paid by buyers for postage when your payments come through (if you choose to keep selling by providing the required information).  If your business model relies on receiving funds from each sale before paying for postage for each sale then it is doomed to fail sooner rather than later regardless of MP.

They have also barred my account so I can no longer sell anything

No they haven’t.  They have simply suspended your selling privileges until you supply the information required for them to comply with Australian Laws.

Ultimately, you have a choice to make.  If you object to providing the ID you have been asked for then you can’t sell on eBay . . . provide the ID and be able to sell.

I have provided my ID for MP on all 4 of my accounts.  I think that although there have been data breaches on many large websites that I can’t see that if someone gets possession of thousands, more likely millions, of personal member information on eBay members the chances they are going to choose mine for identity theft are minuscule.  The theft of my identifying info will not yield them much benefit.  Good luck using my identifying info to get a loan and scam a bank!  They could retire to an island in the West Indies on the $50 I keep in the account linked to eBay MP.  I have a NAB account that I use mainly for eBaying.  When it has money in it I use to for every day purchases such as stamps, fuel and coffees until the balance drops to $50 (enough to pay the postage on my next dozen sales).

You are more likely to have someone steal your identity by simply going through your letter box and getting information about you than through an eBay data breach.

In fact, of all the identity theft stories I have seen on programs like ACA this has been the most used method. That, and gleaning information form Facebook pages or falling for scam phone calls.

Message 4 of 12
Latest reply

@thatretrogirl wrote:

How can I get my money back from EBAY that they are withholding illegally? $222 . .....I never had a passport. These big companies are going after the wrong people. Money laundering from a small average like me? They have more information about is than anyone.  

if you were ‘invited’ to register for Managed Payments then they are not withholding it illegally . . . they are actually complying with Australian Law.  It is your money, they just can’t get it to you unless you pride the ID they have asked for.  Maybe you ask your local federal representative in Canberra to step in for you.

Money laundering from a small average like me

It’s not about you, it’s about complying with Australian Laws.

Message 5 of 12
Latest reply

imastawka
Honored Contributor

Payments | eBay.com.au

See section 11

Message 6 of 12
Latest reply

Thank you, I read section 11. So much jargen, I honestly don't understand what it all means. 

Does anyone know when eBay will give me my $222 from sales in the past 90 days? I feel that I have been scammed by this company. It is very distressing. 

Message 7 of 12
Latest reply

@thatretrogirl wrote:

Does anyone know when eBay will give me my $222 from sales in the past 90 days?

Certainly not before you give them photo ID................

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 8 of 12
Latest reply

Extremely upsetting. I do not feel comfortable doing that.  What If I close and finalise my account? Or have they written it into their policy that they can keep/steal my money? 

Message 9 of 12
Latest reply

@thatretrogirl wrote:

Or have they written it into their policy that they can keep/steal my money? 

They are not stealing your money, they are required BY LAW to withold it until you supply them with the requisite information.

Read the link that Stawks gave you....................

https://pages.ebay.com.au/payment/2.0/terms.html#article-11

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 10 of 12
Latest reply