Ebay poor treatment of seller

I have just had a completely mind blowing interaction with Ebay agents over a return by a buyer.

The buyer requested to return an item (a used camera) for an issue that was outlined clearly in the item description. I denied the return for obvious reasons and the agent that I first made contact with me and closed the return on my behalf.

A couple of days later the buyer initiates a 'not as described' case and claims that the camera does not work. This is not the case as had tested all functions before listing. Ebay automatically allows the return?!! 

I then contact Ebay to ask why this has happened. Responses varied, but basically a lot of wet empathy but no  explanation as to why this happened considering in the first attempt to return they admit that the camera works well other than the issue that they missed in the listing.

Not once were Ebay forthright with me regarding why this was allowed. Apparently a supervisor stepped in and reversed the original refund denial, however they would not tell me why. They have said that they will have said supervisor contact me, but this has not happened and I don't expect it to now. Desperately frustrating. I am offended that they think this is service.

At one point they actually suggested that I should just re-sell the item and if someone looks interested I must email them to ask if they have read the description? They then said if I did this that they would definitely refuse a return if the same thing happened. What the hell? 

I have been with eBay for 16 years with 100% positive feedback and am just really disappointed that I was treated this way. Obviously there is nothing I can do but refund the item now that it has been returned to me.

Anyway, just wanted to blow off steam and hopefully alert sellers as to what to expect from agents if they need real help as a seller.

Message 1 of 2
Latest reply
1 REPLY 1

Ebay poor treatment of seller

It's obvious that the buyer had a change of mind and was determined to get their money back.

Customer service are really useless and are some of the most frustrating interactions we come across. 

What you could have added into the mix was the following:

1) Report the buyer for malicious buyer behaviour

2) If you are rated as an "Above Standard" seller, you can deduct money from the return if it is not in the same condition as how you sent it. There is a flow chart of how to do this - check out the Seller section. Some sellers choose to warn the buyer upfront of this as a caution, which sometimes deters the buyer from sending back at all.

Message 2 of 2
Latest reply