Ebay's Refund System is just a joke!

I agree to refund a buyer for a claimed faulty item - $165 in total.

I supply the return address.

They then decide to use Ebays 'Return System'.

I am prepared to refund the return postage costs after I receive the item, not before.

Ebay tell me today that if I don't facilitate the return in the next 5 days they will find in the buyers favour with no need to return the item.

Is this legal?

Message 1 of 18
Latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

I am in prettry much the same situation.  Buyer said that the item was not as described so I said to return the item and I would issue a refund.  They then escalated to request a refund process through PayPal.  My big mistake was taking the buyer at their word and issuing a refund and requesting to return the item.  Now they tell me that they cannot track the item and do not have a tracking ID,

@collectibles_in_canberra wrote:

I agree to refund a buyer for a claimed faulty item - $165 in total.

I supply the return address.

They then decide to use Ebays 'Return System'.

I am prepared to refund the return postage costs after I receive the item, not before.

Ebay tell me today that if I don't facilitate the return in the next 5 days they will find in the buyers favour with no need to return the item.

Is this legal?

I am in prettry much the same situation.  Buyer said that the item was not as described so I said to return the item and I would issue a refund.  They then escalated to request a refund process through PayPal.  My big mistake was taking the buyer at their word and issuing a refund and requesting to return the item.  Now they tell me that they cannot track the item and do not have a tracking ID, so I am out the refund amount and have no item.

What I have learnt is 

1. Do not under any circumstances issue a refund without first receiving the item back. The help people at PayPal told me this.
  2. Use the eBay refund process as you have no protection if you dont.
  3. They cant use two mechanisms to request a refund ie: eBay and PayPal. 

Regards

Rob

Message 11 of 18
Latest reply

@collectibles_in_canberra wrote:

I agreed to refund the buyer upon return

Buyer then opened a return dispute through Ebay -  I told them I had already agreed to refund & they should return the item.

Buyer asked for a postage label but I told them to return item & I will reimburse postage after return

They then escalated the claim & I no longer have the refund option upon return & must rely on Ebay to enforce this option.

Ebay indicate that they will refund with no return if I don't facilitate the return process.

By agreeing with the refund in the first place & giving them the return address I would have thought was enough.

How do I force the buyer to return the item now when Ebay are going to give it to them anyway?

The whole process was already simple "Return the item for a refund" why the need for all this rubbish.

As they stated,you have two options:

"At this point, I have now decided to place the case on 5-day hold for you to facilitate return by:

1. Offering a pre-paid postage label (e.g. your own courier or via Click & Send, OR
  2. Asking the buyer to pay for the return cost (agreeing on the cost in advance) and refunding the return postage cost when you receive the item back. 

Kindly let us know if you choose to facilitate return for this transaction. Please note that the case will be decided on the buyer's favour without return needed if it won't be facilitated within 5 days"

You have to do it via either option one or two for you to get the item back,(which means you have to either pay for

the Click & Send label or agree to the postage cost for the buyer to send it back,which will also be  given to the

buyer once you have the item back).

I also have no idea how the Click & Send label will work as they might not have printer.

Sounds like you need to also notify eBay as to which option you've taken,(sorry,I have no idea how that dispute

system works),Who knows.gif

It also sounds like the buyer knows exactly how the proccess works,(hence why the took that option as they

weren't willing to shoulder the postage cost for the return).

It will be another one in a long line of returns initiated by a buyer through the eBay system where the seller ends

up out of pocket for the return of the item,(eBay wont care whether it works or not).

You have to have returns policy in place when you list but eBay take no notice of it when a buyer wants to

initiate a return,(this policy will possibly end the selling careers of a number of sellers),stubborn_smiley_by_mirz123-d4bt0te_zps12f1a5a3.gif

Message 12 of 18
Latest reply

If eBay ever try that BS on me, and refund the buyer without returning my item, I will take the ba$tards to court and sue them into the middle of next week, and I suggest that anybody else so affected should do the same. It's a very simple and inexpensive matter to take out a summons against eBay - just go to your local courthouse and have a word with the Clerk of the Court. What eBay are doing is illegal and the sooner somebody hauls them before the courts, the better for all concerned.
Message 13 of 18
Latest reply

I have been in contact with the buyer & we have sorted the problem out ourselves.

He is returning the item & has provided tracking number.

He said he was following Ebay's guidelines for returning an item.

He was unaware that Ebay were going to refund without return of the item which is not what he was after - he was just after clarification from Ebay whether to return to the address I provided or wait for a postage label and they never responded.

Ebays return system is not neccessary for the vast majority of problems.

It causes confusion & frustration for all.

Message 14 of 18
Latest reply

Well the item has been returned & guess what - it is working fine!

I sent a photo of it working with todays newspaper header behind it with day & date for reference to the buyer.

Why should I receive a defect for a faulty item & have to pay return postage when there is nothing wrong with it.

And to think Ebay were about to refund the buyer with no need to return the item - and were talking over $160 not a couple bucks.

I think you need to have a good hard look at your system EBAY!!

Message 15 of 18
Latest reply

Ebay are Cowboys. I've sent video and photo rvidence and have spent countless hours on phone. Their process is flawed. If a buyer says not received as described NOTHING the seller can do to change the refund and return. Pls if anyone knows a way out of this, tell me as this buyer is a vile mouthed scammer. Paypal ruled in my favour so do eBay hv the right to take my money? I'm boycotting eBay after this dispute. Customer service is abominable 👊🏼
Message 16 of 18
Latest reply

@miss_drea1976 wrote:
Ebay are Cowboys. I've sent video and photo rvidence and have spent countless hours on phone. Their process is flawed. If a buyer says not received as described NOTHING the seller can do to change the refund and return. Pls if anyone knows a way out of this, tell me as this buyer is a vile mouthed scammer. Paypal ruled in my favour so do eBay hv the right to take my money? I'm boycotting eBay after this dispute. Customer service is abominable 👊🏼

I can start by suggesting you don't drag up six month old threads. Especially when there are several current threads that WILL provide you with answers.

Message 17 of 18
Latest reply

I've pretty much cut selling higher priced items for just this reason. I rarely list much over $25 these days so I can just wear it if I get scammed. Now Ebay can't ride on Paypal's growth it had better take a close look at this kind of thing.

Message 18 of 18
Latest reply