Example of an attempt by the best of the best...

Hi, Some of you may think this is legit however with my experience I can tell you that it is not legit at all.

I have an air conditioner listed on the other side of the old tree and received the following...

" i am very satisfied with your advert,i will
like you to get back to me with is present condition and your final
price,i will be requesting this transaction should be done via
PayPal,so the PayPal charges is on me,kindly send me your PayPal email
or send me money request,you can alternatively send me your bank
account information if you have no PayPal account,so that i can
proceed with the payment asap as am very busy at work and do not have
much time around me.Make sure you get back to me asap,so that we can
arrange for pick up as i will like the pick up to hold at your
residence location,so no shipping.
Looking forward to read from you asap "

They are getting pretty convincing arent they, I can only imagine hoe many gullibles fall for it. DONT REPLY TO THESE ATTEMPTS OK.

Message 1 of 11
Latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

The poor English coupled with the a request you disclose personal information is always and will always be a dead giveaway.

al'>wil๏ฟฝJ y/ Xp/o:p>

The best Iโ€™ve been able to find is, if no recovery right exists, they (PayPal) may, at its absolute discretion, make a discretionary payment.

I think this falls far short of if the buyer can provide further evidence that the item has not been received then they will get a refund

On another note, since as requested Iโ€™ve provided you with a copy of the relevant legislation, have you been able to find that part of the legislation which you say states โ€œโ€œthat the sender is responsible until the parcel is received by the buyerโ€

Message 2 of 11
Latest reply

Sorry should read

The poor English coupled with the a request you disclose personal information is always and will always be a dead giveaway. 

Message 3 of 11
Latest reply

Definitely not Chinglish, must be Niginglish:^O

At least they don't say they want it delivered to their brother's wife's pastor in Nigeria!

I absolutely have no idea how anyone can be fooled by these scams, it must be that the idea of making some money throws all rational thought out of the window!

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 4 of 11
Latest reply

... the idea of making some money throws all rational thought out of the window!

๐Ÿ˜„

tall-bearded made a good point with that PP quote. When they pick it up, there's arguably no "proof" (e.g. not sent by Registered Mail) that the item was sent or received. So, they get a refund. Took me a few seconds to realise that, unless I'm mistaken and it's something else.

Message 5 of 11
Latest reply

This is how the previous post should read:

... the idea of making some money throws all rational thought out of the window!

๐Ÿ˜„

tall-bearded made a good point with that PP quote. When they pick it up, there's arguably no "proof" (e.g. not sent by Registered Mail) that the item was sent or received. So, they get a refund. Took me a few seconds to realise that, unless I'm mistaken and it's something else.

Message 6 of 11
Latest reply

The PayPal quote was meant for another thread.

The reality is,  offing to pay by PayPal or bank deposit for a pick up item is another giveaway that it is an information harvesting exercise, mainly because anyone would have to be inherently stupid to pay for a pick up item before they had inspected it.

Inherently stupid because if, on inspection the item is no as described, and if they reject the goods  on that basis, and the seller digs their heals in and refuses to refund, the only way the buyer will  get their money back is by taking the seller to court.

That is because pick up items are exempted for buyer protection.

Message 7 of 11
Latest reply

gec2002
Community Member

If your ad for the air con is similiar to your other ads you offer Paypal, Direct deposit or pickup so he can get your data anyhow.   Provide direct deposit details and say once payment clears you will provide the address and he can come and pick it up, but not before.  All the risk is transfered to them.  No more info is provided than what he could have got by having a delivery and using direct deposit as your bank details are either on record or he's going request them.

---------------------------------------------------
Profanity is no substitute for wit.
Message 8 of 11
Latest reply

go-tazz
Community Member

so that we can
arrange for pick up as i will like the pick up to hold at your
residence location,so no shipping.

This is the scam part as they will say their shipping agent will be picking it up.

You will receive a fake email advising you that payment had been made and was being held for you.

The FAKE payment would supposedly include extra payment for the agent's fee.

They will then tell you that the payment couldn't be accessed,so could you please pay the agent's fee by Western Union or another unsafe payment method.

They will then either pay with a stolen credit card or a hijacked PP account.

Or they could just be after your Email addy.

Or they might send a phishing Email to try and get you passwords.

Unfortunately to some people it is believable and they'll pay the shipping fee and they'll keep asking for payment until the person gets wise,X-(

They'll keep trying these scams to catch those people,:_|

Message 9 of 11
Latest reply

6448marlene
Community Member

this happened to me when I tried to sell my car with carsales.com, so obviously they have extended their net.  If it sounds too good to be true, it is.

Message 10 of 11
Latest reply