Explanation of seller tactics please

Hi

Ive been watching an item for months.  It is a vintage item and I am very familiar with the type of item being sold.  The seller has listed the item at at least 5 times its actual value.  Needless to say it has many curious people following it to see if it sells.  Which of course it hasnt.  I made a sensible offer and was rejected.  I dont understand the point of grossly overpricing an item,  I tried it myself and could see no follow through on the rest of my listings..  So is

the seller overestimating the items value and it will never ever sell no matterr how long its listed

doing SEO and gettting flow through somehow to other listings

has no intention of selling the item?

just a dope?  waiting for a dope?

Thanks...Im really curious as to the point of this tactic.

Any thoughts?

Message 1 of 21
Latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

Probably option 4.

image host
Message 2 of 21
Latest reply

LOL.   

Message 3 of 21
Latest reply

A bit like this one Kopes.................tell 'em they're dreamin'..............

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/RARE-Emerald-GREEN-Bakelite-Telephone-1930s-Vintage-ERICSSON-Art-Deco-RE...

Spoiler
And it's 1950's not 1930's.

Or this one..............

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Akita-Treasure-of-Japan-Vol-2-New-in-Publisher-Plastic-wrapping/12204476...

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 4 of 21
Latest reply

My main category (music memorabilia) has many,many sellers with 'aspirational' pricing, often 3 or 5 times the going rate,sometimes even more. Almost all are based in the USA.

I sometimes check how long they have been listed, and find them to be up to five years.

My guess is they believe in the 'sucker born every minute' scenario. Alternatively, they may set and forget,waiting for the market price to catch up, if ever.

Message 5 of 21
Latest reply

My crystal ball isn't working today and without it I can't read anyone else's mind and know why they're doing anything.
Message 6 of 21
Latest reply

imastawka
Honored Contributor

I have an old standby.............

Cos they can.

Message 7 of 21
Latest reply

Maybe their other half/mother/father/cat told them if they 'don't put that ruddy thing on eBay,they'll bin it

Put it on eBay

Never said anything about selling it on eBay

Message 8 of 21
Latest reply

they may have an emotional attachment to it.....albeit with a cost
Message 9 of 21
Latest reply

Views. No other reason. I know of a video game seller which lists common second hand games (e.g. cheap titles that are worth under $10) with prices such as $89.99. Not new, not sealed, not rare, just plain old $3 games you could find dumped at the Salvos and the like. I think their feedback score has moved up about 5 in as many years.
Message 10 of 21
Latest reply